Chapter 27

Josh had gone to Florida with his friend's family for a week and was gone when Dylan's birthday party arrived. The party was going great. Ashley noticed that Noel was being very distant though and he had barely spoken to her all afternoon. It was time to do the cake and everyone sang happy birthday. Dylan was in her high chair and Noel was kneeling next to her and Selena was kneeling on the other side. Ashley had made her a cupcake. The song finished and she giggled and tried to blow her candle out. Noel helped her blow it out and everyone cheered. 

"Wanna bite?" Noel asked her.

She smiled at him then grabbed the cupcake and took a big bite.

Everyone was "awwing" and laughing and taking pictures. Ashley was taking some then realized she wouldn't even be in any. She watched Dylan, Noel, and Selena and they looled like a happy little family. She suddenly felt like she didn't belong, which she tried to tell herself didn't make sense at all. She was her mom, of course she should be there and be in pictures, but she stayed where she was. Eventually Ali called out

"Ash, get in there, I need a picture of Dylan and her parents."

"Come on." Noel coaxed.

She smiled and walked over to them. Selena stepped back and Ashley took her place.

"Mama!" Dylan smiled.

"Is that yummy?" 

"Yummy!" Dylan echoed.

They posed for some pictures then she took Dylan to the sink to clean her up. Ali helped her get some cake out of Dylans hair and clean her face then put her down to let her play with some toys she had gotten. She cleaned up the highchair then went to go see what Dylan was up to. She was sitting on the floor playing with a baby doll she had gotten for her birthday. Ashley glanced over and saw Noel and Selena off in the corner. They were talking and laughing like no one else was in the room. Jealousy washed through her, but she took a deep breath and sat down with Dylan. A few minutes later, Noel joined them.

"What's your baby's name Dylan?" He asked her 

"Leena" she answered.

Noel smiled.

That was what she called Selena, it always came out as "leena". 

Noel looked at Ashley and his smile faded.

"How are ya Ash?"

"Fine" she said coldly.

"Can you believe she's already 1? Fuckin' 'ell."

"I know. It's going by so fast."

"When does Josh get back from Florida?"

"Tomorrow."

"Have you talked to him?"

"Yeah, a few times. You?"

"A few texts."

"He's having a good time."

"So it seems." He chuckled.

Ashley looked at him suspiciously.

"What does that mean?"

"Nothin"

"Tell me."

"I guess he didn't tell you about Aubrey?"

"No. Who is Aubrey?"

"Some girl he met down there. I guess they've got really close the past few days."

"Are you telling me they had sex?" She felt herself starting to freak out.

"No, just some kissing, fuckin 'ell Ash."