Chapter 23

Ashley contacted a lawyer and he began digging for dirt on Noel. She didn't want to go there, but felt like she had to be ready to defend herself in court. She met with the lawyer Monday morning while Noel watched Dylan. The lawyer had found some evidence of past drug use and even a burglary record from Noel. Ashley felt bad as the lawyer read off everything he had found. 

"But we arent going to bring any of this up unless we absolutley have to, right?"

"Yeah, we'll see how they are going to go and go from there."

"Ok."

"The court date is Wednesday at 9."

"Ok, I'll see you there."

"Ok"

She went home and could barely look at Noel.

"How was she?"

"Good. She's asleep in her room."

"Ok."

He stood up to leave but stopped and turned to her.

"Hey Ash, I'm sorry about all this court nonsense. I didn't mean for it to get like this. I'm actually thinking of forgetting the whole thing."

"Really? That might be a good idea because I have a lawyer now and he's very good at finding dirt."

"What d'ya mean dirt?"

"You know....past criminal records or drug use."

"You know I don't do that shit anymore."

"Do I?"

"Ash, you know me."

"I thought I did."

"Fine. I'll see you Wednesday."

Wednesday came and Ashley sat with Dylan and her lawyer in the courtroom. Noel walked in a few minutes later with his lawyer. He sat at his table and looked down at his hands. The judge came out and read the paternity test results. Dylan was 100% Noel's, which they both already knew. Noel's lawyer then said his client wished to drop the case and come to an agreement out of court. Ashley's lawyer asked her if she would agree to that and she did. The judge ruled the case dismissed and Ashley felt a huge wave of relief wash over her. Her lawywr told her good luck and left. Noel walked over to Ashley. 

"I'm sorry. I was being an idiot. Will you forgive me?"

"I guess."

Dylan started to fuss and he picked her up. She gave him a huge smile and he kissed her head.

"Selena was behind the whole thing wasn't she."

"She was just trying to support me Ash. She's a good girl, you should give her a chance. We should go out for lunch."

"Yeah ok"

"Great,  let's go."

"Now?"

"Why not?"

She tried to think of an excuse but couldn't.

"Fine"

"Meet us at the deli by your house at 12?"

"Ok"

An hour later, they all sat at a table at the deli.

"Thanks for agreeing to this" Selena said.

"I just want Dylan to be happy, so I guess we should all get along." Ashley said.

"Exactly. Like I told Noel, I dont want any bad feelings between us."

"Me either."

"Ok, so can we start over?"

"Ok"

She smiled and held out her hand.

"Hi, I'm Selena."

Ashley shook it and smiled back , "hi Selena, I'm Ashley."

"Aww" Noel chimed in.

They all laughed and Dylan let out a squeal. 

Ashley hated to admit it, but after spending more time with Selena and Noel over the next couple months, she saw that she was really a sweert girl. She was good with Dylan and Noel seemed genuinely happy. She still had feelings for him though and wondered if Noel felt this miserable seeing her and Mark together.