Chapter 30

Ashley woke up with Noel snuggled up against her back. She smiled and turned to face him. She studied his face as he slept and thought of how much she saw of Dylan in him. She leaned into him and kissed his lips, causing him to stir. He turned his head and opened his eyes sleepily.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

He smiled at her.

"Do you want some coffee?"

"Sure." He closed his eyes again.

She got dressed and went into the kitchen and made some coffee and looked in the fridge. There wasn't much food in it. She closed it and poured two cups of coffee and set them on the table. She sat down at the table and took a sip of coffee. She looked around and saw signs of Selena around the house. Her scarf was hanging on the chair. Her boots were sitting by the door. She looked over and saw a picture frame on the kitchen counter. It was a picture of Selena with Noel. They looked so happy together. In the frame next to that one was a picture of Selena and Dylan. Selena held her tiny little body in her arms. She must have been just a few weeks old. Ashley put her face in her hands and felt terrible. She wanted to be anywhere, but there. She got up, put her shoes on, grabbed her purse and car keys and left. 

Noel woke up some time later and looked around confused.

"Ash?" 

He looked around. He got out if bed and pulled on his boxers and jeans and walked into the kitchen. He saw the two coffee cups on the table, but no Ashley. He looked around. 

"Ash?" He called.

He noticed her purse was gone and looked out the window. Her car was gone. He texted her.

"Where are you?"

A couple minutes later she responded.

"I'm sorry, I saw that picture of you and Selena on the counter and I had to leave. You need to tell her."

He sighed and looked over at the pictures on the counter. Then it dawned on him that Selena was due home any minute. He went to the bedroom and quickly made the bed. He hoped the sheets didn't smell of sex or Ashley. He took a quick shower and got dressed and walked into the kitchen just as Selena walked through the door. 

"Hey!" She smiled when she saw him.

"Hi." He gave her a faint smile.

She walked over to him and hugged him then kissed him. She looked at the table and saw the coffee cups.

"Aww, you made me coffee? I'll be right back, I really have to pee."

She walked out of the kitchen and he sat at the kitchen table waiting for her. 

Selena used the bathroom in the bedroom then walked over to the bed. She smiled to herself. He never made the bed. She was about to turn to go back to the kitchen when something caught her eye. Something shiny laying on the floor by the leg of the nightstand. She went over and picked it up. It was a ring. It was the ring Ashley had been wearing. Her heart started beating fast. Why was it in Noel's bedroom, right by the bed? She took a deep breath and walked to the kitchen. She walked over to the table and sat down. She picked up the coffee cup. It was cold. She put it down and looked at Noel with tears in her eyes.