53

>>>>

>>>>

*a month and a half later*

Today was my audition and for some odd reason I wasn't nervous at all. Maybe it was the adrenaline running through my body but I was more than ready for this. It was an opportunity I had been waiting for years to come and I just wished my dad was here to see it.

The biggest downside of today was that Chris wasn't able to make it. They had production delays on set which meant he was still fourteen hours away from me and filming for his movie. It was the worst news I could've received. I hadn't seen him for over a month and a half now and it was only getting harder day by day. He had no idea how much longer he'd be away so there was no telling when he'd be back.

The majority of the cast had come with me to support me today and that put my mind at ease. They pushed aside all of their plans to be here for me on the biggest day of my life. This would either make or break me. They had all been watching me from outside the room that had wide windows so they could see through.

The moment the director called action I went straight into character, forgetting everything around me. I was auditioning for the part of Haley Dunphy. I went through multiple takes and different scenes and after about ten minutes of being in the casting room I was thanked and told to go home and await a response as to whether or not I received the part.

"And?", they all asked simultaneously as I walked out of the room. I smile at them as they all look at me with anticipation, "They told me to go home and wait for a phone call"

"So you got the part?", Paul asks me. "Not yet. If they call it means one of two things; I either got the part or I didn't"

"I'm sure you got it! You seemed like a natural in there!", Sebastian commented, trying to reassure me. I give him a smile as we head outside the building, everyone in line to audition gasping as they take notice that half of the Avengers were passing by them. "Why don't we go eat something? Our treat to you on a successful day and a new chapter in your life", Robert smiles. "Oh no, you don't have to do that. I don't even know if I got the part, there's no need to celebrate"

"Then how about we celebrate the fact that you're chasing your dreams? That's quite a celebration to me", he answers back as he wraps his arm around me. I look at him and nod my head, "Fine, but nothing expensive, okay?"

"Deal!"

***

"Ella stop checking your phone every two seconds. They'll call, I promise", Anthony tells me as he places his hand on my own. He pulls my phone away from my reach as the waiter comes with our food. "Sorry! I can't help it", I sigh. "I know, I was like that when I had my first audition, but I can assure you that you did an amazing job"

"What if I don't get the part?", I ask him as my mind thinks of the worst scenarios possible. "Don't think of it like that. What if you did get the part?"

"I don't know. I've never really had much luck in life so why would this be any different?", i reason with him as I take a bite of my pasta. "Because you've worked hard for this moment and because you're a good person who deserves something good in her life for once. You've got this in the bag. And if you don't get the part that doesn't mean you give up everything, okay? You keep trying. Do you know how many times A list celebrities had to re-audition before they got cast in something? The one thing you must not do is give up, because if you give up then this industry isn't for you. You'll have to fight for your roles and work your ass off but in the end when you get to see yourself on the front cover of a movie poster or a TV show it'll all be worth it"

"You know you can be a real goofball at times but you give the best advice. Thank you Anthony, really. You're right. I love you Mackie", I tell him as I hug him. He hugs back as he pats my back reassuringly. "I love you too, Ella bear. Now eat your food before it gets cold", he reprimands me. I laugh at him as I move my fork around in my plate.

"Stop looking at your phone", Anthony says. I look up at him, my hands up in defence, "I wasn't even looking at my phone—how did you know?"

"Mackie has eyes everywhere", he says seriously as he points his fingers from his eyes to our table. "You're crazy"

"I prefer the term 'devilishly handsome and talented'"

I look at him with my eyebrows raised as he crosses his arms, "Yeah, I don't think so. Nice try though"

"Hey? It was worth a shot", he laughs. All of a sudden my phone begins to ring. My eyes widen as I struggle to find my phone. I smack Anthony's arm repeatedly as he panics, trying to get my phone out of his coat pocket, "Anthony hurry up!", I yell at him as my heart begins to race. He hands me my phone, almost dropping it in the process. "Hello?", I say into the phone, exasperated. "Yes hi, is this Ella Lombardi?"

"Yes this is she", I say into the phone as the entire table goes quiet. All of their eyes were on me as they gripped the table in anticipation. "We're sorry to inform you that you didn't get the part. Thank you for auditioning but we wanted to say that this is a prank and you, Ella Lombardi, got the part as Haley Dunphy! We always like to joke with our new actors/actresses. Welcome to the team and we're so happy to have you join us on this new project of ours. We'll be sending you more details soon. Congratulations!", with that they hang up, leaving me stunned.

"And?!"

"I got the part!", I say to them as I start to tear up. I jump up as I hug Anthony first. "Oh my god I did it, Anthony I did it!"

"You sure did, Ella bear. I told you that you had it in the bag!", he kisses my forehead as I move on to hug the rest of my family. I turn to Robert who was holding up his phone. "Did you record me?"

"You bet I did! Congratulations, kiddo!", I run over to him as he spins me around. "You're going to kill it!"

"I just wish Chris was here", I sigh as I wipe my eyes. "Maybe he is", Scarlett tells me as they all move out of the way. Chris comes into view with a bouquet of flowers as I drop my phone on the table, breaking out into a sprint. I jump into his arms as I wrap my legs around him, kissing him all over his face, "You're here! Oh my god I've missed you. I love you so much", I cry as I tighten my grip on him. "Congratulations, beautiful"

"I love you so much", I cry into his shoulder as I still hold onto him. "I love you too, Ella bear. I'm so sorry I didn't come to your audition but it would've ruined the surprise"

"I don't care, you're here!", I laugh as I kiss him again. "This is cute and all but we're in a public restaurant and no one wants to see you two smooching", Anthony jokes. I give him the finger as Chris places me back down on the ground. "Everybody, glasses up", Chris says as he sets down the flowers he bought me.

Everyone proceeds to take their glasses and raise them up in the air . "Here's to new beginnings. To new opportunities, and to a lovely girl we call our family. To Ella!"

"To Ella!", everyone cheers.