: twelve :

Deep breath in, lungs filled with air, chest puffing out when they expanded under the warm water of the pool as he submerged under the surface and swam to the opposite end of the long swimming pool, the chilly air outside moved the foliage of the trees that surrounded the property. The night sky turned dark grey with thick rain clouds that threatened to pour down any minute. The poolside was barely lit, as if he was sneaking around, only the cool lights from inside the pool shining through the water, the reflection hitting his face every time he poked his head out for some air after every lap. He felt his lungs burn, as well as his muscles. It must be his tenth maybe twelveth he wasn't really counting them he just wanted to tire himself out so his head wouldn't drift back to Y/N's story, to her face, cheeks stained with tears. He shook his head breathing in deeply again before pushing himself underwater once more.

It was his fourteenth lap, she had been counting them, not on purpose but coincidentally she walked up to shut the window of her room at the same time he walked out to the pool, curiosity kept her glued to the window, her eyes following him back and forth as he moved from one end to the other over and over again. She was surprised at the number of laps he was being able to do, she imagined that all the cigarettes she has seen him smoke since she met him would allow him to make maybe three laps before he was coughing his dying lungs out but he seemed to contradict the health statistics with the fifteenth round. Propped comfortably on the window seat she sighed heavily before getting up, closing the window followed by the curtains, her mind drifting to the expression on his face after she told him about her past, fully regretting everything she had said and done since she walked into his office looking for Tess that morning.

Her hands gripped the fabric of the long curtains, breathing deeply as her eyes sneaked one last glance down to the pool through the tiny slit where both pieces of cloth met in the middle of the window frame. He was finally coming out of the pool water dripping all over the floor, he ran his ten fingers through his wet hair, pushing it back out of his face, what little she could make up from the distance and the darkness through the small gap on the curtains. She watched his every move, spying on him like a creep but something inside her didn't allow her to step back, as if she was staring into the void, not blinking.

He turned around to pick a towel up from one of the sunbeds, bringing it up and dabbing his face to dry it, his head moving upward as though he was glancing up to her window, that's when y/n jumped back and let a small gasp out, her stomach dropping a for a quick second as she flinched. With sweaty hands she smoothed out her silky pyjama top, turning around to walk back to the bed. Why was she doing that? Why did she felt the need to go back to the window and check if he was still there? None of that was common behaviour on her and she was mildly freaking out, trying hard to keep her head up above the surface of the raging ocean of unwelcome emotions that kept preventing her to maintain her head aloft the tall waves.

Overthinking took over her and made it hard to fall asleep yet again, this time the reluctance to face the next day, the embarrassment of seeing him look at her with those eyes that now held nothing but pity towards her. She'd rather him looking at her the way he did when they first met, with that arrogant smirk on his face whenever he pissed her off and not that glimmer that kept making her stomach sink a little. In efforts to make herself go to sleep, she forced her brain to focus on how she felt after telling him, how much lighter her whole body felt, how a little tension on her shoulders was alleviated and that seemed to be enough to calm the overthinking down to finally rest.

The weather was abnormally warm since midday stroke, the lack of clouds in the sky allowed the sunshine to hit the whole garden making the pool look really nice, nicer than it ever looked. So y/n closed her laptop and walked into the closet rummaging through the clothes she brought in hopes that she'll find something appropriate to wear out.