: twenty nine :

Breathing in Harrison's scent was the last thing she remembered, how his warmth fought against her seemingly perpetual cold. The back of her head throbbed and she was starting to feel dizzy so she resorted to closing her eyes nuzzling the man's neck, finding the comfort that she had been craving since long hours ago. Soon she felt nothing. The ache, the fear and the exhaustion were gone as cold and darkness swooped her.

A second later she was fighting the heaviness of her lids and the dryness that made it so uncomfortable to keep her eyes opened for more than half a second. Neither of her senses felt particularly sharp; whatever sounds surrounded her sounded too far away to properly identify them, her vision was too cloudy that she barely could make up silhouettes and her tact numb but her twitching fingers felt a little restrained by something pleasantly warm and partially rough but soft at the same time.

The act of filling her lungs with oxygen was hard and uncomfortable, she felt pressure on half of her face as well as her chest. It took her senses a good while to recover at least enough for her to be more aware of her surroundings, of the person sat next to her holding her hand in theirs. Her lids were still weighty but light enough for her to manage to hold them half-lidded, granting her with the sight of a gorgeous pair already locked on hers. Crystal clear irises dancing between hers provoked a wave of emotion to hit her harder than she'd ever experienced, quickly filling her eyes with burning tears.

Mouth and throat too dry to speak prevented her from responding to anything he said, but her aching body relished the feeling of his own body settling next to her. The comfort he gave her, the ease and bliss she got when he held her close could almost erase the horrors she'd seen and she wished at that moment that she could do the same for him.

Rumbling thoughts shooting back to the many times not long ago where she hoped for him to stop being that comfortable with her, now she hoped he never let go of her. She hoped for him to be next to her through every moment, tough or easy, she just wanted him there with her. It'd be hard to actually tell him, she knew. It'd be so hard for her to admit out loud that she was wrong about him, that he had gotten to her, that he had gone farther like no one had ever willed to go. He wasn't put off by her past nor her present and that was the biggest win, plus he made her actually feel things she was sure no one would ever be able to make her feel.

Their lives were at risk all the time, their life span was very limited for them to not take the small opportunities of a little normality, the tiny chances of being actually happy within the hell they had to live through, just because their families carried an awful line of work that repelled any sort of positive affection didn't mean they had to turn their backs on the precious treasure that had been dropped at their doorstep.

Tom had been the one she woke up with after falling asleep in Harrison's arms, he had been speaking none stop on how upset he was when he came back from his trip to find her gone, he omitted how harsh he had been to his best mate only saying that he had put the blame on him but reassured her that he had said sorry for it. "So, Harrison..." Tom said just above the beeping of the machines that his best friend was connected to. The way his tone changed from a slightly worried one to a more teasing one had y/n wanting to just stop him right there and change the subject. "He ain't so bad, eh?" He smirked, raising his brows expectantly. Y/n limited herself to just hum in response prompting Tom to carry on speaking. "Y/n/n, what happened with you two while I was gone?"

"'M not talking about that with you, or with anyone." She answered slowly, her words slightly muffled by the mask over half of her face. Tom's eyes widened immediately after she finished the sentence, putting the pieces together in his head.

"You shagged!?" He whisper-shouted, gripping the armrests of the chair he sat on, the girl on the hospital bed glared at him for his reaction. "How!? Wait no, don't tell me. I don't wanna know." The brunette backtracked quickly pressing his hands to his temples. "Oh my god. I expected it but now I— Shit." He covered his mouth incredulously, keeping quiet for a short while trying to collect himself. "Y/n/n..." Tom said more calmly. "I don't know what you feel for him but, I can tell he's fucking whipped by you, yeah? I've never seen him like this."