Chapter 2

Crowkit rolled over in his nest, unable to sleep any longer. Riverlight was still sound asleep, as were all the other cats in the nursery. He looked over at Frostkit and Icekit, hoping they would wake up soon but both of them looked sound asleep. He twitched his ears and sat up, not worried about waking his mother since she pushed him away in the night anyway. He stepped out of his nest and poked his head out into the MoonClan camp.

It was just past dawn and the night hunters were probably already asleep. Crowkit wondered if his father had done hunting at night or if he would be waking up soon. He wanted to play, he would be an apprentice in just a few days and he wanted to spend these last couple days playing with his father, Icekit and Frostkit. It would be a whole other moon before those two became apprentices, and he would miss sharing a den with them.

Crowkit directed his attention to the apprentice den, his future den. He saw movement as two of the apprentices, Amberpaw and Cedarpaw made their way out of it and to their mentors. He watched closely for Cinderpaw, wondering if she would take Blacksky away from him once more. However, there was no sign of Cinderpaw, just her two siblings Breezepaw and Shadowpaw.

Breezepaw, Shadowpaw and Cinderpaw weren't much older than Crowkit, he was about a moon old when they became apprentices, but they were still very far ahead in training. Amberpaw and Cedarpaw were much farther than Crowkit, they would probably be warriors soon. Movement from the warrior's den caught his eye and Crowkit directed his attention there, watching for his father.

However, only Silverpool, Driftwater and Sootmask emerged, he dropped his ears in disappointment. Either Blacksky hunted at night or he was already out on patrol, he kind of hoped that he was out on patrol.

Feeling disappointed and bored, Crowkit slipped back into the nursery to wait for either his father or his denmates to wake up. He sat his nest and idly played with a small ball of moss. He suddenly remembered his game with Silverpool and wondered if the warrior would want to play with him again.

Silverpool is probably a busy warrior, I'm sure she has better things to do than entertain a kit. He thought, dropping his head. He hoped that his mentor would be nice and someone to keep him busy all the time, he hated not doing anything. Crowkit heard the rustling of moss and looked over excitedly at Blossomfrost's kits, but found that the noise came from Featherdawn's nest instead.

Nightkit was turning in her sleep for a moment, then looked up with blinking amber eyes. "Hi, Crowkit." She mewed, her voice a tiny squeak.

"Hello." Crowkit greeted kindly, the she-cat was probably too young to play but at least he had someone to talk to. "Sleep well?"

Nightkit nodded, letting out a large yawn at the same time. "Yes." She looked at her two littermates, still sleeping soundly. "My littermates are so lazy." She snorted.

Crowkit chuckled. "I know the feeling, they're not my littermates but Icekit and Frostkit sleep longer than a badger with a full belly."

Nightkit laughed and looked at the two white she-cats. "Are we special because we wake up so early?"

"Maybe." Crowkit shrugged, he didn't think that he was anything special just because he woke up before the rest of the nursery. "A lot of MoonClan cats like working at night so they sleep through the day."

"That's cool." Nightkit's tail twitched. "I want to hunt at night, but it sounds like it would be dangerous."

"I'm not sure." Crowkit looked away from the kit, glancing towards the sky. What was hunting like at night? "I'm sure you learn as an apprentice how to hunt at night."

"When do you become an apprentice? You're really big, it's soon right?" Nightkit questioned him.

Crowkit nodded. "Should be in a few days." He blinked, he was both excited and terrified at becoming an apprentice. He would be doing it alone, without friends to train with. Cedarpaw and Amberpaw had each other, Cinderpaw, Breezepaw and Shadowpaw were all close, and all the remaining kits in the nursery would have siblings to train beside, he didn't have anything.