Chapter 3

"Are you ready?" Blacksky questioned, looking over Crowkit with expectant yellow eyes. Crowkit held his head high.

"Of course I'm ready." Crowkit replied, puffing out his chest. I've been ready for moons! "I'm going to be an apprentice."

Blacksky nodded proudly. "You are, and it's a big step. From this day forward you won't be a kit anymore, you'll be an active member of MoonClan."

"I know, and I'm ready for it." Crowkit held his father's proud gaze and looked towards the center of camp where Owlstar was headed. Anticipation tingled in his paws, he was finally going to be an apprentice. A myriad of questions raced through his mind, who would his mentor be? What would he do first? Would the other apprentices be nice to him? He just had to take a deep breath and wait it out.

"Let all cats old enough to hunt, gather in the center of camp for a Clan meeting!" Owlstar's deep mew rang throughout the clearing, sending chills down Crowkit's spine.

Crowkit walked beside Blacksky to the center of the camp, he felt more confident walking beside his father. Riverlight walked behind them, not speaking or giving Crowkit any words of advice or anything really. When they reached the center of camp, Riverlight sat down and looked at her paws while Blacksky looked at Crowkit with excitement.

"Today is a proud day for MoonClan, by naming apprentices we show that we will remain strong for many moons to come." Owlstar spoke confidently, Crowkit could feel the eyes of all of MoonClan on him, he felt energized by it and held his head high. He wanted to look like his father. "Crowkit, you have reached the age of six moons and it is time for you to be apprenticed." Crowkit held his breath. "From this day forward, until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Crowpaw. " Crowpaw's new name already felt familiar. "Your mentor will be Silverpool, she is a strong and intelligent warrior and I know that she will teach you everything she knows."

Crowpaw looked at Silverpool in surprise as she stepped forward, her green eyes glowing softly and filled with joy. He didn't expect Silverpool to be his mentor, but he was incredibly glad that she was. Did Owlstar see them playing that day? Silverpool stepped forward, touching her nose to Crowpaw's. He felt warmth and joy spread throughout his body, he was finally an apprentice and he had a wonderful mentor!

"Crowpaw! Crowpaw!" The Clan cheered his name and he felt welcomed by them, he held his head high as his Clan welcomed him as a new apprentice. Owlstar jumped down from his den and padded over to Cloudwind to discuss something.

Crowpaw turned to Silverpool eagerly. "What are we doing first? Are we going hunting? You already taught me how to catch rabbits." He could barely control himself, he wanted to get out into the forest.

Silverpool laughed, placing her tail on Crowpaw's shoulder. "Calm down there, there's plenty to do, we have all day." Crowpaw felt Blacksky step in beside him, he looked up at his father, suddenly remembering his promise to take Crowpaw hunting the day he became an apprentice.

"Your father told me about your promise," Silverpool mewed. "But he has to take Cinderpaw out first, so while he's doing that I'll take you on a tour of the territory."

"And when you get back," Blacksky nudged him playfully. "I'll show you all the best places to go hunting." Excitement boiled inside Crowpaw, he didn't want to wait any longer and he had so much to do! Crowpaw looked around for his mother, wondering if Riverlight was happy to see him become an apprentice but he saw her slowly making her way to the warrior's den, for a moment, his heart dropped.

"Don't worry about her." Blacksky nudged Crowpaw's head away with his muzzle. "Today is your day, Crowpaw and you've got a lot ahead of you." Crowpaw looked at his father, shoving his worries about Riverlight to the back of his mind and focusing on the excitement of becoming a new apprentice.