Chapter 17

Crowpaw stared down into the hollow, it had several small dens around the edge as well as pile of prey in the center. It really is just like a Clan camp! Crowpaw realizes, finally feeling a sense of familiarity. Beside Crowpaw, Flint stepped into the hollow with confidence. Crowpaw was slightly less confident, unsure of the cats he would meet or what they would think of him. He awkwardly followed Flint down into the hollow.

The first cat Crowpaw spotted what a sleek black she-cat with deep blue eyes. "Where have you been?" The she-cat asked, looking at Flint with a mixture of emotions. One of them was soft, the other was a bit harsher.

"You know," Flint shrugged, facing the she-cat. "The usual."

"Starting fights with dogs?" The she-cat lashed her tail. "You know have two kits right? You can't risk your tail by running away from dogs."

"Both me and my tail are fine." Flint purred. "Plus, no dog can outrun me." He puffed out his chest. It was at this point that the she-cat noticed Crowpaw standing just behind Flint.

"Who's this?" She questioned. "He looks new."

"This," Flint stepped back and nudged Crowpaw forward. "Is Crowpaw. I found him by the river, he's got a hurt paw. I was thinking Ivy could take a look at it."

The she-cat narrowed her eyes at Crowpaw. "You'll have to ask Cooper first, but I'm sure he'll allow it."

"I think so too." Flint held his head high while the she-cat stepped closer to Crowpaw.

"My name is Sabra, by the way." She said kindly. "As long as you're nice to the cats around here, Cooper should welcome you."

"Cooper?" Crowpaw tried to stop his voice from trembling. Cooper sounded like the leader of this group.

"Cooper is sort of our leader around here." Sabra explained. "We're free to come and go as we please, but while we stay here he kind of makes the rules."

"I see." Crowpaw mewed, Clan cats didn't have the option to come and go but at least this group had a leader.

"Speaking of," Flint stepped in beside Crowpaw. "I'm going to take him to Cooper, he's here right?"

Sabra nodded. "I think most everyone is, they're just in their dens. I'm pretty sure Leo and Rudy are out hunting."

"Wonderful." Flint leaned in, touching his nose to Sabra's. "I'll be back in just a bit, tell the kits I'll be there soon."

"Will do." Sabra purred, looking at Flint with just pure love in his eyes. She nodded towards Flint and padded towards the closest den. Crowpaw could get the faint scent of milk from the den, it reminded him of the nursery back in MoonClan. They have kits here too, but it looks like everyone has their own separate dens. Crowpaw noted.

"This way." Flint motioned with his towards a den at the very back of camp that looked larger than the others. Crowpaw walked with Flint, with a slight feeling that eyes were watching him. How many cats lived here? Sabra said that most everyone was in their dens.

They crossed the small camp and reached the den where Flint poked his head in. "You in here, Cooper?" He questioned.

"Yes," A deep voice replied. "What is it, Flint?"

"I found a stray out by the river." Flint explained. A stray? "He's got a pretty nasty wound on his paw, I think Ivy could look at it."

"Let me see." Flint looked back at Crowpaw and nodded with his head to step inside. Crowpaw followed despite his slight tremble. Inside was a large mottled brown tom. The way he held himself reminded Crowpaw of Owlstar. "You're the cat? What's your name?" Crowpaw felt slightly intimidated, but he swallowed his nerves and answered.