Chapter 6

Crowpaw stared at his fresh-kill, struggling to find his appetite. He flicked his tail and looked away from it. Beside, Amberpaw and Cedarpaw were eating their prey eagerly. Crowpaw flattened his ears. Must be nice. He thought bitterly. Your mother doesn't actually hate you. He slumped his shoulders and fought back a sigh. It had been quite a few days since Blacksky and Riverlight fought and Riverlight said that she wished Crowpaw had died instead of his sister, and the words hadn't left his mind.

Crowpaw lifted his head as he heard the voice of his father. He spotted Blacksky across the camp talking with Silverpool, they glanced at him for just a moment before turning their attention back to each other. Crowpaw sighed and looked back at his mouse, hunger was there but he couldn't bring himself to eat.

Crowpaw had done his best to avoid Riverlight completely, but it was hard when they were Clanmates. He couldn't imagine what it would be like when he became a warrior and they had to share a den. He closed his eyes, trying to think of anything else.

He opened his eyes when her heard pawsteps approaching, he saw Blacksky approaching him with a gentle look in his yellow eyes. Was he as upset about the whole situation? From the stories he heard, Blacksky and Riverlight were really in love before he was born. Guess I ruined that too. Crowpaw winced at his own thought.

"How are you feeling?" Blacksky questioned, looking down at the untouched mouse at Crowpaw's feet. Crowpaw didn't respond, he just shrugged. "I just spoke with Silverpool," He glanced over his shoulder at the silver she-cat. "And we wanted to know if you wanted to go to the gathering tonight?" Crowpaw opened his mind to say no, but quickly realized it was something he had been wanting to do for a while now, he didn't want to let what happen ruin his entire apprenticeship for him.

"Yeah, I do." Crowpaw replied, he saw Blacksky's eyes light up slightly which made Crowpaw feel slightly better.

"You better eat up then," He motioned towards the mouse. "If you don't, you'll regret it. It's a long night." Blacksky touched his nose to Crowpaw's forehead and padded away to the fresh-kill pile, presumably to get prey for himself. Crowpaw noticed Amberpaw and Cedarpaw looking at him, but saying nothing.

The entire Clan knew about the huge argument and the fact that Riverlight rejected Crowpaw and that his parents were no longer mates. He was grateful that no one would talk to him about it, but a little annoyed that they kept looking at him with stupid, sympathetic looks in there eyes. He was sure he wasn't the only one with parents that didn't stay mates, right? Crowpaw shook his head and forced himself to take a bite of his mouse.

After eating, Crowpaw decided to pay a visit to Frostkit and Icekit. He hadn't seen much of them since he became an apprentice and he felt bad. They would be apprentices very soon and he wanted to make sure they knew they were still friends. He padded over to the nursery and poked his head inside.

Frostkit and Icekit were wrestling in a pile of moss while Badgerkit, Nightkit and Dovekit watched in awe and cheered for the two she-cats. Icekit had Frostkit pinned, but Frostkit was putting up quite the fight. Behind them, Blossomfrost was watching with exhausted eyes and Featherdawn shared the same expression.

It was Nightkit who spotted Crowpaw first and she shouted his name with jubilation. "Crowpaw! You're here!" She mewed happily and jumped to her paws. Frostkit and Icekit stopped their fighting and looked over at Crowpaw with surprise in their eyes.

Frostkit shoved Icekit off and bounced over to him. "It's about time you come see us you furball!" She shoved him playfully.

"Sorry." He apologized, feeling slightly guilty. "Being an apprentice keeps me busy."