Chapter 30

Crowpaw's body felt cold, and the pain burned deep inside Crowpaw. He opened his eyes, he was in the clearing where he had collapsed. The loss of Ivy still fresh in his mind, eating at him like he was a meek piece of prey. Crowpaw looked up at the stars, they seemed brighter than normal.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" Crowpaw jumped as a strange voice spoke. He looked to his side and saw the same tortoiseshell he had been dreaming of for so long now, the one that took his Ivy away.

"Who are you?" Crowpaw demanded. "Am I dead? Why did you take Ivy from me?" His voice trembled with anger.

"So many questions, Crowpaw." The she-cat's voice was soft and soothing. "No, you're not dead and Ivy had to come with me. She had died very quickly, she didn't suffer, though I'm sorry you have to."

Crowpaw dropped his head, feeling defeated. "I wish I was dead. I can't handle this pain anymore, I've been living it with for too long." He looked up at the she-cat, pleading. "Please, I can't do this anymore. I can't breathe."

She shook her head. "You're not meant to die, Crowpaw. I'm sorry that you had to suffer so much, it's too much for a cat to handle." Her green eyes were saddened.

Crowpaw sighed sadly and shook his head. "Why am I here then?" He questioned, staring at the sky once again. "You still haven't told me who you are yet."

"My name is Mosscloud, I used to be a MoonClan medicine cat." Crowpaw stared at her, he hadn't seen another Clan cat in so long. "You probably haven't heard of me, I lived many seasons ago."

"Why are you here? Why are you talking to me?"

"Because, Crowpaw. Many moons ago, when your father died I sent a sign to Skyclaw. I sent him a crow, a crow that had to make a very long and hard journey."

Crowpaw flattened his ears. "I only used that sign so I could run away."

"There's a reason I sent it when I did." Mosscloud mewed. "I could tell that you were in pain, and in order to heal you had to leave your home in MoonClan, you had to go on a dangerous mission that would change you forever." Crowpaw stared at his paws. "And it certainly did change you."

"Yeah," Crowpaw mewed quietly. "I lost my home again, I've lost everything."

"You haven't lost yourself, Crowpaw." Mosscloud looked at him, so much wisdom trapped in her green eyes. "And you never lost your home, MoonClan is still there, waiting for your return."

"How could I ever go back there?" Crowpaw questioned, shaking slightly. "I ran away from MoonClan, why would they ever take me back?"

"Because there's something you must do for them." Mosscloud rested her tail across her paws. "My story is a long one, but the ending is the hard part." Her eyes clouded with nostalgia. "When I was an apprentice, I was told I had a great destiny to fufill. I figured it would happen during my life, but it didn't. When I died, I was shocked to find that I was trapped outside the realm of StarClan. I couldn't talk to the cats I once knew and loved, I was cursed to walk these skies alone." Crowpaw stared in shock at the she-cat. "I won't be able to roam StarClan's fields until my destiny is fulfilled."

"What is your destiny? Is it-is it something I need to do?"

Mosscloud shook her head. "No, but there is something you have to do." She lifted her head once again. "Sickness looms over MoonClan, threatening to take the lives of many if not healed. The current medicine cats do not know what herb they will have to use, as it only grows in one spot on MoonClan territory, a spot that only I know about. And as I cannot communicate with any cat from StarClan or MoonClan, I can't guide your medicine cats."