Chapter 10

Crowpaw forced down his fresh-kill, he was only eating to make Silverpool happy. He didn't have much of an appetite at all in the few days that Blacksky had been dead. He couldn't sleep and he still wasn't back to training, he didn't think he would be able to focus on hunting or fighting. He didn't even want to step in the place where Blacksky died, he didn't want to do anything.

"Hi, Crowpaw." A soft voice spoke beside him. Crowpaw looked to his right to see Frostpaw and Icepaw standing beside him with gentle looks in their eyes. "We wondering if you were going to the gathering tonight, it will be our first." Frostpaw questioned.

Crowpaw looked back at his prey. "I don't think that's a good idea right now." He muttered, he could see that Frostpaw's feelings were hurt but he really didn't want to go.

"Why not?" Icepaw asked, concern lining her mew. "I figured it would be a good chance for you to get out of camp."

"Because," Crowpaw looked up. "If I have to see Elmpaw I can't promise I'll hold the truce."

Icepaw and Frostpaw shared a sad look. "Alright," Frostpaw put on a pleasant expression. "We'll tell you about it when we get back, okay? Just like you did for us."

"Alright." Crowpaw forced himself to look him until the two she-cats walked away. However, deep inside he knew that wouldn't be happening. Over the past few days Crowpaw had made up his mind, he was going to leave the Clan. He wasn't sure where he was going, but he felt in his heart that it was the right choice.

He wasn't going to tell anyone, not Frostpaw, Icepaw or even Silverpool. He couldn't bare the thought of telling her, he loved her and he knew that she loved him but he had to do this. He didn't even really know if it was because of what Skyclaw said, or if just needed an excuse to leave. It wasn't the bravest thing to do, and Crowpaw didn't even know if we would survive a day on his own but he had to try.

I don't belong here anymore, I lost everything I had with Blacksky. Silverpool will be okay without me. Crowpaw told himself over and over again, half of him believed it and half of him didn't. He would leave tonight during the gathering while almost no cats were here. He knew Riverlight would be here, but he didn't care. She'll probably celebrate the fact that I'm gone. Bitterness clogged his throat but he swallowed that along with his prey.

He discarded the bones of his prey and returned to the apprentice den to rest until night time when the Clan was gone. The only other apprentice in there was Cedarpaw, sleeping off his night hunting patrol. I won't see you or Amberpaw become a warrior. Crowpaw thought, looking at the sleeping apprentice. I'll never become a warrior. Crowpaw looked at his paws, that thought was almost enough to make him stay, but Crowpaw knew he couldn't change his mind now.

The day went by slowly as usual, but as sure as the sun came, so did the moon. Crowpaw sat outside the apprentice den, watching the cats of MoonClan start to prepare to leave. He watched Silverpool walk over to him with concern in her eyes. "Are you sure you don't want to come?"

"I'm sure." Crowpaw nodded. "I'm just going to rest, but you have fun while you're gone. Make sure Frostpaw and Icepaw don't get into too much trouble." He forced a chuckle, he didn't want Silverpool to suspect that anything was wrong, he also wanted her to think that he was starting to feel better. She deserves good memories.

"Alright," Silverpool touched her nose to Crowpaw's forehead. "Get some rest, I'll be back soon." Crowpaw bid farewell to his mentor and watched the Clan disappear into the forest. Crowpaw waited for a while, almost second guessing himself, but he knew that was what he wanted.

It was nearly moonhigh and the cats that remained in camp were starting to settle down. The only cat he see that was awake was Squirrelpelt who guarded the camp. Crowpaw stood up and looked around, if he was caught by her he would just say he was going to make dirt. Taking a deep breath, Crowpaw set for the back of camp. He was going away from the rest of the Clans and towards the twolegplace, he wondered what was beyond there. How many dangers awaited him.