Chapter 32

Crowpaw stepped out into the sunny morning. Snow still covered the field, but the sun was shining high above. If the weather stayed like this, it would be an easy day of travel, but he had to get going as soon as possible. Crowpaw caught a quick bite before heading towards the twolegplace.

He left the field behind, and with each step he took Crowpaw grew more and more anxious. He tried not to think about what would happen once he returned to MoonClan, he didn't want to think about getting rejected and sent away, exiled from his former home.

Crowpaw stuck to the outskirts of the twolegplace, hoping to avoid having to enter it. He could hear the thunderpath up ahead, he had gotten used to crossing them at this point. Once he crossed the thunderpath, all that awaited him was MoonClan territory. He reached the thunderpath and took a deep breath, waiting for a clear chance to pass.

Crowpaw dashed across the thunderpath, skidding to a stop at the other side. Crowpaw could already scent heather, it smelled so much of home that it made his heart ache. Crowpaw pushed forward, his heart pounding in his chest.

Crowpaw faced the large wall of silverthorn, this marked the separation between MoonClan territory and the twolegplace. On the other side was his old home. Crowpaw felt nauseous, his heart ached. Just do it! Crowpaw took a deep, shaky breath and glanced up at the sky. There were no stars, but he let out a silent prayer anyway. Ivy, Blacksky, please let this be okay.

Crowpaw located the hold in the mesh that allowed him his original passage. He slipped underneath the mesh, wincing when it dug into his pelt. I guess I was a lot smaller when I came through here last. Losing a few strands of his black pelt, Crowpaw made it through and his paws touched MoonClan territory for the first time in moons.

He breathed in the familiar scent, it seemed like forever since he had been here. Memories of hunting across the moor hit him like a storm. I can't believe that I'm back here after all this time. Crowpaw stared into the distance, MoonClan camp was out there. And I'm going to find it. Crowpaw took the first step deeper into MoonClan territory and the rest of his paws followed.

He crossed the moor and was overwhelmed with the urge to run. He recalled running this territory with his father, and hunting with Silverpool. I wonder if things we'll ever go back to normal with Silverpool.

Crowpaw knew he wasn't too far from camp, he wondered if he should wait for another cat to find him or if he should just venture into camp. As this thought crossed his mind, he heard a voice. Crowpaw tensed and ducked down slightly. The voice came from a young tom, one he didn't recognize.

"I'll be right back!" The tom yelled.

Crowpaw stiffened as a young, gray apprentice appeared over a small hill. He spotted Crowpaw and narrowed his green eyes. "I knew I scented something weird! Who are you? Why are you on my territory?" The apprentice demanded, puffing out his chest to look bigger.

"My name is Crowpaw." Crowpaw dipped his head.

"Crowpaw? You seem a little old to still be an apprentice."

"I've been away for a long time. I'm a member of MoonClan, but I had to leave."

The apprentice opened his mouth but another voice spoke. "Jaypaw!" The voice belonged to a she-cat, and it was familiar but something about it seemed different. A new cat crested the hill, this one was a pure white she-cat with blue eyes. Icepaw? "I told you not to run off on your own! Have you--" She cut off once she spotted Crowpaw. Is it really her? "Crowpaw?" She stared in disbelief. "Is it really you?"

Crowpaw nodded slowly. "Yeah." He spoke quietly. "And you're...Icepaw?" He knew that wouldn't be her name anymore, but he didn't know what her warrior name was.