Chapter 43

I suppose I can't put this off any longer. Crowsky thought as he watched the elders carry Cloudstar's body away. The moonstone awaits. Crowsky noticed that Ravenheart was approaching him. "Badgerstripe wants me to escort you to the moonstone." He explained. "He wants me to experiencing the making of a new leader."

"I'd be happy if you joined me." Crowsky replied, he looked around for Frostfire. He wanted to let her know that he was leaving. "I'll be ready in just a moment."

"Take you time." Ravenheart encouraged.

Crowsky approached Frostfire and Icestorm. "Is it time?" Frostfire questioned. Crowsky nodded. "Good luck." Frostfire pressed her muzzle to his.

"Come back with nine, shiny new lives." Icestorm purred loudly. With their support behind him, Crowsky met up with Ravenheart.

"Ready?" Crowsky agreed and the two of them ventured out into the forest.

"Would you mind if we took the long way?" Crowsky questioned, he wanted to take in the forest one last time as a normal warrior.

"Of course, lead the way." Crowsky walked across the moor, he found his pawsteps leading him to the SunClan border. He wanted to see the river, he recalled when he had first gone fishing here, and when he had taken Ebonywing to fish here.

As they walked along the river bank Crowsky spotted a SunClan patrol, led by the deputy Flowerpelt. "Greetings." She dipped her head kindly.

"Hello." Crowsky returned her greeting.

"Where are you going." Flowerpelt questioned, adding quickly: "If you don't mind me asking."

"Cloudstar lost her last life." Ravenheart explained. "Crowsky is on his way to earn his nine lives."

"It's sad to hear that." Flowerpelt dipped her head. "But I know you'll be a great leader, Crowsky."

"Thank you, Flowerpelt." Crowsky mewed, he noticed Ravenheart looking slightly impatient. "But we should really get going, thank you for your kind words."

"May StarClan light your path." Rowanfall mewed.

"Yours as well." Ravenheart said in return and they two of them went on their way. They reached the Spirit Woods without any more interruptions and as they approached the Spirit Tree, Crowsky froze in his tracks. He realized that he had never seen the Moonstone before, he left before ever getting to go as an apprentice.

"Wait--" Crowsky stopped Ravenheart as the medicine cat prepared to enter.

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do." Crowsky admitted.

"Once the moonstone lights up," He began explaining. "You will touch your nose to the stone's surface and you will fall asleep. From that moment on, it is up to StarClan to give you your nine lives."

Crowsky took a deep breath and followed Ravenheart into the tree. The cavern was pitch black, he could sense his medicine cat ahead of him but the tunnel got tighter and tighter. He could feel his pelt brushing the side of the tunnel and his heart began to pound inside of his chest. Oh StarClan I don't know if I can do this. Part of him wanted to turn tail and run out of the tunnel, but he knew he couldn't.

The tunnel finally opened up and Crowsky could tell that they were now in a large cave. "W-where is it?" Crowsky's voice echoed off the walls, he felt so trapped and terrified. Cats don't belong underground!

"Just wait."

In an instant a blinding, silver light filled the cavern. Crowsky jumped back slightly as he faced the moonstone, a brilliant silver stone with stars trapped in side. The sight of it took his breath away. Oh my stars. He thought. This is really is. He took a timid step forward and looked at Ravenheart who gave a small nod.