Chapter 11

Crowpaw woke with damp fur and sore muscles. The strange den he had slept in hadn't been very comfortable, but he was thankful that he didn't have any dreams. He stood up, stretching out his aching muscles and continued on his journey. He wanted to get out of the twolegplace, he hated everything about it and just hoped that it didn't go on forever. In his direct vision, Crowpaw could see nothing but twolegnests. Behind him was towards MoonClan and ahead of him was possible dangers, but he had no choice. He went forwards.

The stone continued to make his paws ache, he wished for grass but he had to deal with it for now. He kept his nose in the air, attempting to scent anything familiar. His stomach ached and he hoped to find prey, but didn't know what he would find in the twolegplace. He only knew that it probably wouldn't be rabbits or fish.

As Crowpaw walked through the twolegplace he saw his first glimpse of twolegs. The sight of them scared him and he ducked behind one of the crowfood holders. The twolegs stood tall, taller than any cat and only had fur on their heads. They wore strange colored pelts and spoke loud nonsense.

There was another sound that caused Crowpaw's fur to stand on edge. Near the twolegs was a dog with long black and white fur. It barked and jumped around the twolegs' feet. Crowpaw had heard stories of dogs, they would sometimes wander into MoonClan territory and were incredibly dangerous to cats.

The dog looked towards Crowpaw, causing him to tense and hide even more. Did it scent me? Crowpaw stood still until he heard the dog's barks faded away along with the sound of the twolegs. He poked his head out, trying to get a better look at where he was. There was grass ahead of him, but it looked wrong. There were several twoleg nests with wooden walls similar to the silver one he had crossed to get here.

In between the rows of the twolegnests was a thunderpath which made Crowpaw uneasy. That did not look like a place he wanted to go, he could hear more twolegs and more dogs. He spotted a cat sitting on one of the walls, but Crowpaw had no interest in talking to a kittypet, especially one on the other side of a thunderpath.

Maybe there's another way out of here. He wondered and turned away, back into the darker area with crowfood. He walked through along the stone path, much preferring aching paws to coming face to face with a monster or a dog. He made his way back to where had slept for the night, the boxes were up against a large stone wall, he wondered what was behind it. It was impossible to climb, but perhaps if he followed it he would be led somewhere.

Crowpaw did just that, following the wall and feeling much more comfortable in the shadows. His stomach was really starting to ache for food, he needed to find something to eat. Crowpaw could only hope that he would soon find a forest or river.

Crowpaw walked for a long time, his paws ached and hunger clawed at his belly. He had given up hope of finding prey in the twolegplace when he heard the scurry of tiny paws. He stopped and looked around. He narrowed his eyes, spotting movement in the shadows down a long alleyway. He recognized the creature as a rat, and didn't have much interest in eating it; but he needed the prey.

Crowpaw dropped into a crouch, keeping his eyes focused on the rat as he waited for it to come out of hiding. The rat snuck out from underneath a rock formation and sniffed the air. It's fur was dull and brown but it was fat. Crowpaw waited, he was used to hunting rabbits but Silverpool had given him a quick lesson on catching mice, surely a rat wouldn't be too hard to catch.

The rat moved forward, twitching it's tiny pink nose and ears. Crowpaw waited until it was close enough to him and he leapt forward, claws striking the rat's spine. He bit into its neck and it killed it quickly. Crowpaw picked up his rat and carried it to a more secluded area to eat. He bit into the rat, the taste slightly bothering but him his stomach was grateful for the food. He ate it in a few quick bites, thankful that the ache of hunger had started to ease.