Chapter 5

"Crowpaw, wake up!"

Crowpaw felt a sharp paw jabbing into his side, he woke up with a start and faced Amberpaw. She was looked at him with confusion in her green eyes. "Calm down," She mewed. "Silverpool wants you."

Crowpaw let out a yawn, but nodded and climbed out of the apprentice den. It was a little bit after dawn and the only other apprentices awake were Amberpaw and Cedarpaw, he knew that Shadowpaw had been out night-hunting so he would be asleep for quite a while, but Breezepaw and Cinderpaw would more than likely wake up soon.

Crowpaw climbed out the apprentice den, stretching and basking in the warm sunlight. He looked around camp for his mentor, spotting Runningpath and Berryfrost outside the elder's den sharing tongues while Haretooth ate a large mouse.

"Over here, Crowpaw." He turned his head when he heard the call of his mentor. Silverpool was standing beside Blacksky, both looking quite excited. Crowpaw had been an apprentice for a couple days and he spent most of his training with both his mentor and his father. With his tail high, Crowpaw padded over to Silverpool and his father, wondering what they needed.

"What are we doing?" He questioned, looking from both Silverpool and Blacksky.

"We're going swimming today." Silverpool mewed.

"Really?" Crowpaw nearly jumped up in joy, he had been wanting to learn how to swim since he became an apprentice.

"I'm bringing Cinderpaw too." Blacksky mewed. "Swimming is not my favorite activity--" He looked away with slight awkwardness. "So I figured that now would be a good time for her to get some decent swimming lessons in."

"Amberpaw should've woken her up as well." Silverpool mewed, looking towards the apprentice den. After a few moments both Amberpaw and Cinderpaw stepped out into the camp, Cinderpaw shaking her dark fur before padding over to the groups of cats.

"What's going on?" She questioned, looking at Silverpool and Crowpaw.

"Swimming lessons today." Blacksky explained. "You haven't gotten as much swim training as you should, so today you'll be learning with Crowpaw and Silverpool."

"Sounds fun." Cinderpaw mewed, licking down a stray piece of fur on her chest.

"Then let's go." Silverpool purred and the two mentors led their apprentices towards the back of camp. Crowpaw walked alongside Cinderpaw, but close to Blacksky. He had seen the pond behind the camp once before, but he hadn't swam in it yet.

The pond wasn't far from the camp and they reached it shortly. It was large enough for the cats to swim, but not deep enough to be dangerous to an apprentice. There was a small stream that poured into the pond and was connected to the river.

"Here we are." Silverpool looked into the river, she looked to Crowpaw with excited green eyes. "Are you ready?"

Crowpaw looked at the still water, suddenly unsure if he was ready to swim. What if he made a fool of himself? At his hesitation, Silverpool let out a chuckle. "It's alright, Crowpaw." She stepped into the pond, the water nearly coming up to her belly fur. "There's nothing dangerous about this pond."

Crowpaw looked at his father who gave him an encouraging nod and the apprenticed faced the pond once more. He took a deep breath and stepped into the water, he let out a shocked gasp when it chilled him to his bones.

Silverpool let out a laugh. "It's a bit chilly, I suppose I should've mentioned it. You'll get used to it." Crowpaw nodded and forced himself to step more into the water.

"When you get to the center of the pond it's going to get deeper, and you'll have to swim. Just watch me." Silverpool explained and stepped into the water, it got deep enough on her that she had to paddle with her paws. "Move your paws underneath the water almost as if you're running. You want to claw with your front paws, and then kick with your hind legs."