Chapter 8

Crowpaw woke with a heavy yawn, he lifted his head and looked around the apprentice den. Almost all the apprentices were here with the exception of Shadowpaw who was probably out on dawn patrol. Amberpaw and Breezepaw's pelts were cold and their breathing still fast, Crowpaw assumed they had just recently returned from night hunting. Crowpaw rested his head back in his nest, looking over at Icepaw and Frostpaw who were still sleeping soundly.

They had been apprentices for nearly half a moon now and Crowpaw loved having them around. A few days before, Silverpool, Sootmask and Smokeleaf had all taken them swimming and they loved it. Both Frostpaw and Icepaw were incredibly strong swimmers, and they were both very energetic. A lot more than Crowpaw, he found it hard to keep up with them sometimes but he loved training with then nonetheless. Crowpaw laid in his nest, he assumed that Silverpool was still asleep so he would wait until the sun was higher in the sky. He relaxed in his nest, closing his eyes and waiting for the sun.

Crowpaw opened his eyes to find himself outside of MoonClan camp, standing on the moorland with the stars shimmering above. He looked around in confusion, wondering why he was here and how he got here. He took a step forward, noticing something in the distance. He narrowed his eyes, vaguely making out the form of a cat. He stepped forward, trying to figure out who the cat was or if they had answers but with each step he took, the cat appeared to get farther and farther away.

Anxiety crawled along Crowpaw's spine, he wasn't sure what was happening but he wanted it to stop. Crowpaw looked up at the sky, the moon wasn't in sight but there was a large star that stuck out to him. It was larger than the others and it filled with a sense of calm, he closed his eyes and opened them to find himself back in the apprentice den. I was dreaming? Crowpaw stared at his paws in confusion, he didn't mean to fall back asleep. He looked around the den, more apprentices were gone now including Cedarpaw, Cinderpaw, Icepaw and Frostpaw.

Crowpaw stood up, carefully stepping over Amberpaw and Breezepaw as he made his way out of the den. He got outside and found it to be sunhigh. I didn't mean to sleep so late. He scolded himself, wishing he would've just gotten up when he woke up at dawn. Then he wouldn't have had that strange dream.

Crowpaw looked around camp, searching for Silverpool but couldn't find her. He spotted Skyclaw outside of the medicine cat den, setting out leaves in the sun before returning into his den. Crowpaw's ears twitched as he heard the sounds of laughter. He turned to see Nightkit, Badgerkit and Dovekit playing happily outside of the nursery. They were getting bigger every day, Crowpaw wondered if there would be enough room in the apprentice den for when they became apprentices. Perhaps Amberpaw and Cedarpaw would become warriors before then, freeing up two nests in the den.

Crowpaw finally spotted the tabby pelt of Silverpool speaking with Driftwater and Spidertail near the warrior's den. He approached his mentor, who looked up at him as he neared the group.

"Good afternoon, Crowpaw." Silverpool greeted her apprentice kindly. Crowpaw looked up at his mentor.

"What are we doing today? Sorry I slept late." He apologized, looking at the ground awkwardly.

"It's quite alright, Crowpaw." Silverpool rested her tail on his shoulder. "We're going on a patrol later, your father will be on it as well." Crowpaw's heart lifted, he loved patrolling with his father. "While we wait, why don't you go get new moss for Featherdawn and her kits. Skyclaw should have some."

Crowpaw nodded and turned away from the three warriors, going towards Skyclaw's den. As he padded across camp he heard hushed voices from Skyclaw's den. Skyclaw's was one of them, but he heard Owlstar as well.

"...Clan is in danger." Crowpaw stopped as he heard Skyclaw's urgent mew. "Foxwind spoke to me last night, but I couldn't quite make out what she was saying, other than a threat plagues MoonClan."