Chapter 15

Crowpaw approached the twolegplace, the all too familiar scent of twolegs surrounding him. It didn't smell as bad as the first twolegplace he encountered, but it wasn't a place he would like to live. Crowpaw skirted the edges of the twolegplace, hoping he wouldn't have to venture too far into it. He found an entrance, similar to the area where had Crowpaw stayed his first night away from MoonClan.

That place had been relatively safe, so he figured it would be safe here as well. He made sure to keep an eye on any exits or signs of danger. Crowpaw found himself in a large, empty area. There was random twoleg items scattered about and more of the crowfood holders he encountered before. The only thing different about the scents here, was that they were heavy with cat.

Crowpaw wasn't sure why a kittypet would be roaming out here, it was dirty and away from most twoleg nests. Crowpaw's only other assumption was rogues or loners. A loner he was fine with, but Crowpaw didn't really want to interact with a rogue. He had always heard stories that rogues were aggressive whereas loners were more laidback and peaceful.

Crowpaw heard a sharp rustling and spotted the shadow of a cat behind a nearby wall. In a bit of a panic, Crowpaw ducked behind one of the large boxes that reeked of crowfood. He made sure his shadow was hid and hoped that the scent would cover his own.

The cat that stepped out was almost pure white, and would've been it it wasn't for the dirt and muddy water that was speckled across his fur. Crowpaw withheld a gasp when he saw the scars on the tom's body. He had a long scar going down his muzzle to his chin, a deep nick in his left ear and an even large scar going from his shoulder to his foreleg. That's no kittypet. Crowpaw thought. I'd hate to meet whatever animal did that to him. Or him for that matter. Whoever this cat was, it was clear that he was a fighter.

The tom stopped mid walk, causing Crowpaw's breath to catch in his chest. The tom narrowed his green eyes, sniffing the air. After a moment, he shook his head and went towards the direction that Crowpaw had come from.

Crowpaw waited several heartbeats before stepping out from his hiding spot. He looked around, waiting for the tom to return but saw no sign of it. With a sigh of relief, Crowpaw stepped forward.

Pain shot up Crowpaw's leg as he took a step. He could feel something sharp cutting deep into his paw. Crowpaw let out a hiss of pain and stumbled back, looking at what he had stepped on.

There was pieces of a shiny, dark green stone on the ground. The stones were incredibly sharp and almost transparent. Crowpaw looked at his forepaw, blood was pouring from a deep wound in his paw. The blood dripped onto the ground, Crowpaw clenched his teeth at the pain. I can't stay here. Crowpaw told himself, not wanting to attract any predators with the scent of blood.

Crowpaw licked his paw, trying to get the bleeding to stop but to no avail. He would be leaving a trail of blood behind until he found something to fix it. Crowpaw stood up, holding up his injured paw as blood fell to the ground. He forced himself to limp forward, staying wary of the sharp crystals on the ground and trying to care for his paw.

The limping was awkward and his paw burned painfully, he winced and whimpered with each step. The pain was almost unbearable but he had to find something to treat it with. He tried to remember what Skyclaw had said about treating wounds. The only thing Crowpaw could remember was cobwebs and some kind of golden herb.

The pain grew worse with each passing moment, Crowpaw had to stop himself from falling over. He was leaving a very obvious trail of blood and could only hope that no cat was following him. Crowpaw found a crack in the stone path that led to an area under the wall. Maybe there will be cobwebs in there. Crowpaw hoped.