Chapter 18

Crowpaw stretched out, blinking sleep from his eyes. He sat up in his nest, smoothing down his sleep ruffled fur. The early morning sun was shining into his den, followed by a cool, leaf-fall breeze. He shivered slightly, slipping farther back into his den to avoid the cold. Crowpaw lifted his injured paw, which wasn't so much of an injury anymore. All that was left of the painful wound was now a long scar going down his paw pads, but it didn't hurt and he could walk.

It had been nearly two moons since Crowpaw started staying with the group of loners in the forest and for the first time since he left MoonClan, he felt at home. All the cats had been welcoming, he found close friends in Flint, Rudy and especially Ivy. He spent most of the day with Ivy while she was treating his paw and he enjoyed every moment with the pretty she-cat.

Being around Ivy made Crowpaw's heart flutter, he felt both shy and incredibly comfortable around her. He wondered if she felt the same way about him, there was a large part of him that really wanted her to.

Crowpaw's ears perked up as he heard Ivy's soft voice. She was talking to Cooper, he strained his ears to listen.

"How is his injury doing?" Cooper questioned. Crowpaw tensed, they were talking about him. He had gone a long time without hunting, was Cooper upset with him?

"It's much better." Ivy explained, her voice light and cheerful. "I was planning on talking to him about hunting today. I'm sure he'll be more than ready."

"I hope so." Cooper's voice didn't sound angry, but with that cat it was hard to tell. "I know most cats like having him around, but he needs to help out."

"I know, father." Ivy purred. "And he knows too, I'll talk to him today."

"Good." There was a moment of silence between the two. "I'm going hunting, I expect him to be on his paws and hunting by tomorrow."

"Understood." Crowpaw heard Cooper's paws shuffle paw and Ivy's grow closer. Crowpaw frantically smoothed down his fur, getting ready to face Ivy.

The tortoiseshell poked her head inside, green eyes sparkling. "Good morning." She purred.

"Good morning." Crowpaw dipped his head, trying to hide how flustered he was. "Sleep well?"

"Always do." She stepped inside, looking around for a moment then turning her gaze back to him. "How's your paw?"

Crowpaw lifted his paw. "Much better. Thanks to you." He felt like an idiot with every word that fell out of his mouth.

"I'm glad I could help." Ivy stepped closer, giving his paw a sniff. "You can't even tell it was injured." Crowpaw set his paw down, letting out a happy purr. "So," Ivy shuffled her paws awkwardly. "Would you be up to hunting today?"

Crowpaw hadn't hunted in over two moons, he wondered if he was still able to. He didn't want to be thrown out of this group though, so he had to try. "I think so. I have to try at least." He stood up, looking at Ivy who had an excited expression.

"That's wonderful!" She twitched her paws excitedly. "Why don't I show you the best places to hunt? I-If you want me to go of course." She dropped her head, looking embarrassed.

Crowpaw's heart jumped at the thought of hunting with Ivy. "Sounds like fun." He mewed, Ivy's spirits looked instantly lifted.

"Then let's go!" The she-cat nearly jumped out of the den, Crowpaw couldn't help but feel the same way. He followed Ivy out into the camp and took a look around. He could see Raindrop playing with Buttercup, Finch, Firefly and Starling. From living here, he knew that while Leo, Rudy, Flint and Sabra were out hunting, Raindrop would watch the kits.