Chapter 14

The sound of strange voices woke Crowpaw. He opened his sleep-heavy eyes and noticed movement outside of the barn and they certainly weren't cat. Twolegs! Crowpaw scrambled up in alarm as the twolegs started to enter the barn. He jumped backwards, falling into a patch of hay. He quickly covered himself and ducked low, keeping his breathing nearly silent.

Through strands of hay, Crowpaw could see the twolegs walking over to the opposite wall. Talking in their weird language and pointing to something. Crowpaw saw movement at their feet, it was Sheba. She brushed up against their legs and meowed at them. The twolegs reached down with their huge, hairless paws to pet her. How can she stand that? Crowpaw wondered.

He waited in the hay for a long while, waiting for the twolegs to leave. When they finally did, Sheba remained and looked around the barn. "You still here, Crowpaw?" She asked with a raised voice.

Crowpaw dug his way out of the hay, shaking his pelt free of the stuff. He faced with Sheba with slight annoyance. "I thought you said that the twolegs don't come in here often."

"They don't." Sheba replied, licking her forepaw. "But I guess today was the exception. They wouldn't have done anything if they saw you."

"Regardless," Crowpaw flicked his tail. "I'd rather stay as far away from twolegs as possible."

Sheba rolled her eyes. "They're not that bad. All you wild cats think they're the worst thing ever, but they take care of me."

Crowpaw felt slightly guilty. "Well, it's not the life for me. I'm sure they treat you well, but I like living in the wild."

Sheba shrugged. "Understandable."

"So," Crowpaw looked around. "What's beyond this twolegplace, anything?" He questioned.

"I don't really travel that far, but from what I've heard from other travellers; there's a large section of moorland. If you're going that way, be careful. It gets pretty windy up there. Beyond that is another twolegplace, which is relatively small. I used to live there actually."

"Really?" Crowpaw didn't know that kittypets traveled. "How'd you get here?"

"I was born over there." Sheba replied. "When a she-cat has kits, they stay with their mother for a while but at about five moons old the twolegs give the kits to other twolegs."

"That's horrible." Crowpaw stepped back in shock. How could they take kits away from their mothers? That was a whole moon before kits were allowed to become apprentices.

Sheba shrugged. "It's how it works. I barely remember my mother and I have no idea where my sister ended up. She could have a new name for all I know"

Crowpaw looked at his paws. He supposed he didn't really know what it was like to have a mother who cared or even siblings. "I guess that's understandable." He looked away, feeling Sheba's eyes on him. "Either way," He shook his head. "I should go, I want to get as far as I can today." He stood up, dipping his head at Sheba. "Thank you for letting me stay here."

"My pleasure, Crowpaw." Sheba purred, dipping her head in return. "If you ever come back this way, you're welcome to stay again.

"Thank you." Crowpaw's heart felt warmed. He felt as if he had actually made a friend, even if he didn't see Sheba again he would remember her kindness. If he ever did come back this way, then she would definitely be a pleasant sight. Crowpaw started for the barn's entrance, walking past Sheba.

"Before you go, make sure you are aware of coyotes. They're big, dog-like animals. They're bigger than foxes and they're dangerous and fast." Sheba warned.