Chapter 22

"I wanna train with Crowpaw!" Starling cried, jumping around Flint, Rudy and Crowpaw. Crowpaw couldn't help but laugh at her energy and enthusiasm. Firefly was excited as well, but contained her energy in a much more controlled manner.

"And here I thought you wanted to learn from me." Flint flicked his tail playfully, pretending to be hurt.

"I do," Starling turned to face her father. "But Crowpaw is from a Clan! I wanna learn how Clan cats hunt!"

Crowpaw looked at Starling, wishing he could teach her more. He hadn't really spent much time as MoonClan apprentice. "Well," Crowpaw stood up. "Maybe I could teach you one of the things I learned, but I don't think you're quite old enough yet. He lifted his head to look at Flint. "How old are they?"

"They're a little older than five moons." Flint replied, looking at his kits with a gentle gaze.

"Where I'm from," Crowpaw turned his attention back to Starling. "Kits start their training at six moons old."

"But I'm not from there." Starling flicked her tiny tail. "I'm from here!"

"Doesn't matter," Flint extended his paw and pulled Starling in close along with Firefly. "Your mother and I say you're too young, so you're too young."

"Not fair!" Starling turned on her father, puffing out her black fur. She didn't look scary, she looked adorable. "Buttercup and Finch have started learning how to hunt!"

"Buttercup and Finch are two moons older than you." Flint tried to reason with his daughter, but it didn't seem to be working. The only thing to draw Starling's attention away was the appearance of Sabra, who returned along with Leo and Cooper from their hunting trip.

"You're back!" Starling jumped away from Flint and bounded across the camp to her mother, weaving in and out of her legs. Sabra looked at Flint and purred.

"Need a break?" She purred.

"I've faced dogs, twolegs, rogues, and coyotes and nothing has wore me out more than being a father." Flint stood up and stretched out his legs. "But I do love them."

"We all do." Sabra walked with Starling back over to Flint. "But I understand needing a break," She looked at the cats grouped together. Flint, Rudy and Crowpaw. It's your turn to go out and hunt." Crowpaw looked at the fresh-kill pile where Leo and Cooper were setting down their kill. It was getting smaller with the day, the frigid air was starting to drive the prey away, hunting would soon become a struggle.

"We should get going then," Rudy stood up and touched her muzzle to Leo as they passed. Crowpaw and Flint followed, Crowpaw was eager to get his paws out into the forest and hunt. The cold was starting to grip the forest, and it was getting harder and harder to stay warm.

Crowpaw, Rudy and Flint went their separate ways to cover more ground, Crowpaw went towards the river, keeping his nose sharp for the scent of prey. It was difficult to pick through the burning scent of frost, but soon Crowpaw caught faint scent of vole. They weren't his favorite thing, but he knew Ivy liked them.

Crowpaw ducked down into a hunting crouch and began silently stalking his prey. He noticed some tiny tracks lined with the warm scent of the vole. With his body low to the ground, Crowpaw stalked the vole's scent until he spotted the creature digging at the semi-frozen ground. It was plump, it would serve as good prey.

Crowpaw took a few, silent breaths and stalked forward. He got as close to the vole as possible until his catch was certain. Crowpaw leapt forward, his paws pinning the vole to the ground. It let out a small squeak but Crowpaw killed it with a swift bite to the neck. He lifted his head, satisfied with his kill. Crowpaw's stomach growled as the taste of blood hit his tongue, but he didn't dare eat his catch yet.