Chapter 13

The twolegs had returned, and this time it was exactly what Crowpaw feared. There were many more of them and they not only brought dogs but monsters as well. Crowpaw didn't even dare poke his head out of his den, but the sounds of barking and the roar of the monsters that approached had woken him up. He was terrified to even move for fear that a dog would scent him. From what he could hear there was more than one dog as well. He hoped that nothing would come out to his den and he would be safe until they left.

It had been almost half a moon since the first twolegs showed up and he was hoping that they would never come back, he had been sorely mistaken. I should've left when they first showed up. I could be in a lot of danger here. He thought, trying to hide as far in the back of his den as he could.

Crowpaw remained still for a long time, his limbs starting to ache but the sound of the twolegs and their dogs didn't go away. He flattened his ears and tensed at every bark that sounded near him. He closed yes eyes, praying to StarClan that they wouldn't find him. The last time the twolegs came here, they didn't wander near his den but these twolegs were different.

Crowpaw heard splashing dangerously close to his den, followed by the sharp sound of barking. Crowpaw's heart stopped as the splashing grew closer, he could see the shadow of a dog outside his den. The twolegs shouted, but the dog didn't respond to them. Blood turned to ice as a black and white spotted dog head peered into Crowpaw's den.

Crowpaw unsheathed his claws and hissed at the dog. The dog started barking furiously it's paws scraping at the stone den. Crowpaw's heart pounded in his chest, he had to run. He could hear more dogs running towards him. Taking a deep breath, Crowpaw ran forward. His claws raked across the dog's big black nose, drawing blood. The dog let out a yelp and stumbled backwards into the water, tripping over its own big, clumsy paws.

Crowpaw jumped out of the den, past the dog and landed awkwardly on a stone in the river. His paws nearly slipped, but Crowpaw leaped once more. He landed on the bank of the river and took off running as fast as possible. He could hear barking and the twolegs' confused shouting but he didn't look back.

Crowpaw ducked into the trees, terrified that the dogs had given chase and for a while he could hear distant barking. The barking, however, soon faded and the only sound was his own exhausted breathing. He stopped running to take a breath and sit down, his heart still raced but he managed to relax slightly.

Crowpaw looked around, he was still in the forest but he was quite far from his den. I can't go back there. He dropped his head. Too many twolegs. Crowpaw stood up, wondering if he should stay in this forest at all. There could be twolegs all throughout the forest. It's time to move on. He let out a quiet sigh and looked towards the river, thankful that it travelled through the whole forest. As long as I can see the river I have water.

Crowpaw caught a quick mouse before moving ahead, not wanting to travel on an empty stomach. Not knowing where he was going, or what was beyond the forest: Crowpaw pushed forward.

He wondered how big the forest was, was there another twolegplace past it? Or another field? Crowpaw let the questions wander and kept walking. The entire time he had been gone from MoonClan, he hadn't found another cat with the exception of the kittypet he saw and Silverpool. His heart ached slightly for someone to talk to, but he wasn't going to go looking. If there were cats around here, he wouldn't know how to act around them or even how they would act around here. He couldn't imagine there being any Clan cats out here, just kittypets, rogues and loners. He certainly hoped that he would find a cat before he found another dog.

Crowpaw walked until dusk, still nothing but forest ahead of him. As usual, he felt as if he was the only one in the forest but after his encounter with twolegs and dogs, he knew better than to believe that. He needed a safe place to sleep for the night, he was too scared to travel through the forest at night and exhaustion was quickly taking its.