Chapter 42

"Stop fretting over me, Badgerstripe." Cloudstar scolded her medicine cat. "I am well enough to lead my Clan to the gathering!"

"Cloudstar, please." Badgerstripe pleaded. "You may only have whitecough but it can easily turned to greencough on a night like this."

"I've made my decision." She lashed her tail. "MoonClan!" She raised her voice, Crowsky could hear how raspy it was. "Let's get going."

"At least take some strength herbs." Cloudstar reluctantly agreed and Crowsky stood beside her as they headed out to the gathering. It had only been a few days since Silverpool died, her death would be announced to the Clans and Crowsky would have to face it.

In the days that followed Silverpool's death, Crowsky had been supported by Frostfire, Driftwater, Tawnytail and Smallstrike. It had been hard, but Crowsky focused hard on his duties as deputy and was able to keep his head above water.

The Clan finally arrived at the gathering hollow and huddled together to keep warm from the cold. Crowsky's eyes went to Elmstar, the cat had become leader of LichenClan and Crowsky wasn't sure what to think of him. He did his best to not talk to him, he had better things to do than to fret over Elmstar.

Crowsky realized that he couldn't see Jaggedtail at the leader's side, he hoped that nothing had happened to him but there wasn't a deputy in his place. The medicine cat Barkclaw was there, but looked incredibly nervous. He also noticed how tensed Elmstar looked, his claws scratched at the branch underneath his paws. What's going on with him, it is it because Jaggedtail isn't here?

The Clans wasted no time getting started and Foxstar started the gathering off. "First off, Stormwind gave birth to a healthy kit and Lakeflight should be giving birth soon as well. Despite the cold, SunClan is thriving well and we haven't had any sickness." Despite what he said, Crowsky could hear how dry the leader's voice was.

"Good to hear." Ivystar nodded after Foxstar sat down. "AshClan is also doing well, we don't have much to report other than that we haven't had any sickness either and we have enough prey." Next was Cloudstar.

"MoonClan is doing well, but we are sad to announce the death of Silverpool." The Clans held a moment of silence. "We have sickness, but it's under control." Crowsky lowered his head, he hoped that somewhere in the stars above, Silverpool was watching over him.

"Your turn, Elmstar." Ivystar nodded at the LichenClan leader and Crowsky felt disturbed by the dark look in the LichenClan leader's eyes.

"My only announcement is to the other Clans." His voice was strained and tesne, it made Crowsky's fur stand on end. "Since I was young, LichenClan have been at odds with MoonClan, simply because they don't know how to forgive or forget." Excuse me? Crowsky flattened his ears, he hadn't been involved in that fight from what he understood, the two Clans had made peace. Gasps and mews of annoyance spread throughout MoonClan, the cats of LichenClan looked uncomfortable.

"You started that war yourself, Elmstar." Cloudstar growled, lashing her tail.

"And you had continue it, Cloudstar." Elmstar spat. We've had battles with MoonClan and AshClan alike, you want to hold grudges so I can do it too. You've messed with LichenClan one too many times!"

"What in the name of StarClan is he talking about?" Icestorm hissed.

"Has he gone mad?" Shadowpelt questioned. "What a mouse-brain."

I don't like this. Crowsky flexed his claws nervously, he could tell the other deputies were nervous as well.

"There's one Clan here who hasn't dared attack us." Elmstar's dark eyes burned into Foxstar's pelt. "I don't want you thinking you're safe. You have to know that LichenClan is a force to be reckoned with." Why would he threaten SunClan, especially during leafbare? This is no time for battles!