Chapter 33

"Crowpaw. Crowpaw wake up!" A voice interrupted Crowpaw's slumber, he lifted his head and blinked his groggy eyes. A young face was just in front of his with bright yellow eyes. It was the young medicine cat apprentice, Ravenpaw.

"What is it?" Crowpaw questioned with a yawn. "Bagderstripe and Skyclaw want to speak to you."

Crowpaw looked around, the apprentice den was now empty after being nearly full last night. He felt strange sleeping in a den filled with young cats, and MoonClan had many apprentices. I'm glad to see MoonClan is thriving despite the sickness. Crowpaw rose from his nest and stretched out for a moment before following Ravenpaw back into the camp where he was led to the medicine cat den.

Crowpaw poked his head inside, hoping to see that Lightningpaw was awake but he saw much more. The she-cat was not only awake, but slowly nibbling at a fish. Her pale yellow eyes were bright and full of life. Longwhisker and Spidertail were also full of life, talking and laughing. Badgerstripe looked up from his herbs as Crowpaw stepped in.

"Good morning." He chirped happily. "The lungwort worked perfectly! I believe that Lightningpaw is going to make a full recovery."

"That's great to hear." Crowpaw purred. Lightningpaw looked up from her fish at Crowpaw.

"So you're Crowpaw?" She questioned. Crowpaw nodded. "Thank you for coming back and bringing me that herb, I feel a lot better."

"Of course, Lightningpaw. I'm glad I got a chance to meet you." Crowpaw bowed his head for the young apprentice.

"Is it true?" Crowpaw heard the frantic voice of Snakepelt from outside the den, he ran inside and looked at his daughter. Eyes filling with love and relief. "Oh, Lightningpaw!" Crowpaw jumped out of the way as Snakepelt dashed across the medicine cat to Lightningpaw's side and nuzzled his daughter. "Oh thank the stars, I'm so glad you're okay!"

Snakepelt stood up after a moment and turned to face Crowpaw. "I'm thanking the stars, but I should be thanking you. Without you Lightningpaw would have died, so thank you. Thank you for saving my daughter. I've already lost Whiteriver and Snowpaw, I don't know if I could handle losing Lightningpaw as well."

What happened to Whiteriver? Crowpaw wondered, but didn't ask. He would find out later. "Lightningpaw may be recovering," Badgerstripe spoke up. "But she still needs some rest. Go on, now. Let her sleep."

Snakepelt reluctantly left the den and Crowpaw and Skyclaw followed him. "Thank you for helping as well, brother." Snakepelt bowed his head to Skyclaw.

"Even in retirement, my heart will always be in the medicine cat den." Skyclaw replied. "I'm always happy to help kin." Snakepelt padded off and went to tell the Clan about Lightningpaw's recovery.

"What is going to happen now?" Crowpaw questioned Skyclaw.

"That's up to Cloudstar." Skyclaw mewed. "I'll go and tell her that the herb worked, I'm sure she already has an idea of what to do with you."

Crowpaw wasn't quite sure of what Skyclaw meant, but he spotted Frostfire and Icestorm trotting up to him. "We heard about Lightningpaw." Frostfire purred loudly. "I'm so happy that she's okay! And it's all thanks to you!"

"Yeah," Crowpaw shuffled his paws awkwardly, he wasn't really sure he should take credit. He told the Clan about the herb, but he had still ran away. He left the Clan for moons, would saving Lightningpaw make them forget about that?

"Don't look so down." Icestorm rested her tail on Crowpaw's shoulders. "You seem so nervous."

"I just don't know what the Clan thinks of me." Crowpaw admitted. "I left for so long, and I didn't leave to get the herb. I ran away from my problems and it was only when Mosscloud visited me that I decided to actually come back."