Chapter 28

"We should head out soon." Leo mewed, looking over the hunting party. "Where's Ivy?" He rested his eyes on Crowpaw.

"She said she had to get something from her den." Crowpaw replied, it was time for their chicken hunt and right before they left, Ivy insisted on doing something but Crowpaw wasn't sure what she was up to. His paws buzzed with excitement at the thought of this hunt, it was before sunset but Leo assured them by the time they reached this farm it would be nighttime.

"I'm coming!" Ivy called, Crowpaw looked over his shoulder to see Ivy trotting up to them with a green herb in her mouth. She set them down in front of the hunting party. "Everyone eat one of the leaves, they'll give you strength."

The rest of the patrol seemed unsure, but Crowpaw ate the herbs without hesitation, he trusted Ivy. They tasted bitter, but Crowpaw was able to swallow them. "Thank you, Ivy." He purred and Ivy's eyes sparkled.

After the rest of the party had eaten their herbs, Leo lifted his head. "Let's head out, it's going to be a long, cold walk to stay close and don't stop until we get there." They left camp behind, the rest of the group wishing them safe travels. Crowpaw glanced up at the sky as they walked, he could see the moon started to rise just above them. Is StarClan looking over us? Can they even see us?

Crowpaw shook his head, why would StarClan be watching him, he hadn't been a Clan cat in so long. I'm relying on the cats around me tonight, together we'll feed our whole group. They walked through the forest, sharing idle conversation about life. Crowpaw walked side by side with Ivy, staying close enough to stay warm.

"I'm so excited." Ivy purred. "I've never gotten to do anything like this."
"Me neither." Crowpaw mewed. "I mean, travelling has been fun and exciting, but I've never seen a chicken before. I'm curious to see what they look like." He had been trying to form a picture in his head, but had been completely unable to.

"From what I remember," Ivy thought for a moment. "They're bodies are really big, but they have small heads and weird, scaly legs. They don't look like they're legs should support their bodies, but they do."
"Sounds so strange." Crowpaw laughed. "Are you sure that you didn't just imagine this?"

"I'm positive! There's all kinds of weird animals out there, like cows!"

"What's a cow?"

"It's a huge black and white animal the size of a monster. They have huge, hard feet that look they could crush a cat instantly."

"I think I saw some of those on my way here." Crowpaw recalled the bizarre animals. "Are they dangerous? Is there some on this farm?"

"I think so, but they're not close to the chickens."

Ivy and Crowpaw continued sharing stories of their separate travels in life. The walk was long, but having Ivy by his side made everything seem so perfect, even the long walk couldn't ruin Crowpaw's mood. Ever since he and Ivy had finally admitted their feelings, Crowpaw had known nothing but happiness. She's given me everything I ever wanted. She's the reason I came out here. She's my home.

"We're nearly there." Leo called as the trees began to thin out, exposing a vast field ahead of them. It almost reminded Crowpaw of the field from his dreams, but he could see trees scattered across the short grass. In the distance was a large twoleg nest. "That's the farm." Leo explained. "Once we get close, stay quiet and low. We have to make sure the twoleg won't notice us."

"Is there a dog?" Peach questioned. "Most farms I know have a dog."

"Dogs are not an issue." Flint snorted. "There's no dog that I can't outrun."
"It's true." Crowpaw chuckled. "When I first met Flint he was running from a dog for fun."