Chapter 41

"How is she doing?" Crowsky questioned Ravenheart as the medicine cat sniffed the dwindling fresh-kill pile.

"Same as this morning, Crowsky." Ravenheart replied, flicking his ears in annoyance. "She's very sick, but she's hanging on for now." He met Crowsky's gaze, nothing about his expression quelled Crowsky's fears. "I will let you know if anything changes, just keep the Clan fed. You have a duty to the Clan, Crowsky. Leave Silverpool to me."

Ravenheart walked away, leaving Crowsky feeling cold and terrified. Crowsky sighed and turned away from the fresh-kill pile, he wasn't hungry. He barely slept the past moon knowing that Silverpool was riddled with greencough. I hate not being able to do anything. Crowsky lashed his tail. I don't know what I'll do if I lose her.

"Hey there." Crowsky heard a soothing voice and saw Frostfire padding up to him from the warrior's den. "Any word on Silverpool?"

Crowsky shook his head. "Still sick." He scraped his claws against the frozen ground. "I can't seem to focus on anything." He grit his teeth. "I can't lose Silverpool, I already lost my birth mother, what will I do without her?"

Frostfire's green eyes clouded with sadness. "Crowsky, even if you do lose Silverpool, you'll be able to go on. You're not the cat you used to be." Crowsky stepped back, lightning striking his heart.

"Don't even say that." He growled. "I don't want to think about losing her, as of right now I'm not thinking of that as an option." He stormed away from Frostfire, unable to control his emotions. He didn't like arguing with her, but the thought of losing Silverpool was too much for him to think about.

"Crowsky," A mew spoke up from beside him. He looked to see Dovestorm padding up with him. "Who do you want for the next patrols." Crowsky's head was too troubled to think of patrols.

"Uh," He thought for a moment. "I guess--you can lead the next hunting patrol." Cats started gathering around him. "Take Dogtail, Longwhisker, Cedarclaw and Snakepelt."

"I just got back from the last border patrol." Cedarclaw mewed in annoyance. "You want me to go on another patrol right away?"

"Err, no, sorry." Crowsky felt like he was getting overwhelmed. "You can go on the night hunting patrol later, and uh--" His eyes scanned the crowd, trying to remember who had already been on a patrol. "Brambleflight you can go in his place." No cat complained. "The next border patrol will be Rainypelt, Cinderfur, Longwhisker--"

"So I'm supposed to do both patrols?" Longwhisker asked, looking skeptical.

"S-sorry, I--"

"Are you doing alright, Crowsky?" Rainypelt questioned, concern lining her mews.

"I just--" Crowsky felt completely overwhelmed. I can't handle this.

"Give him a moment," It was Shadowpelt who stepped forward. "Someone Crowsky cares about is very sick, it makes sense that his mind is a little cloudy." Crowsky stared in shock that Shadowpelt of all cats had stepped up for him. "If you need to take a break, I can take over patrols if you don't mind."

Crowsky felt slightly suspicious, but he decided not to question him too much. "Thank you, Shadowpelt." Crowsky bowed his head, maybe Shadowpelt really had matured and gotten over what happened countless moons ago. Crowsky wanted to get his paws out on the moor, but he wanted to do it alone.

Crowsky quickly padded out of camp and onto the moorland. It felt like it had been so long since he ventured out on his own. Ever since he returned he always had cats to hunt with. Crowsky began running, his paws kicking up snow. The air was cold, it bit at his ears and nose, but once he started going, his pumping blood kept him warm enough.