73. Wasn't Your Fault.

[{TWO MORE CHAPTERS LEFT}]

<><><><>

Tucking the golden paper into my sling I looked up at Kain. He had bags under his eyes and he was starting a five o'clock shadow.

He looked stressed and... empty, "I'm so sorry Jackie."

I shook my head, "Don't apologise, I would've done the same thing if I was in your position."

It was his turn to shake his head, "No you wouldn't have, you would've told someone, no matter the costs. Your stronger then everyone and you don't realise it."

I sighed, "maybe I would've done something, but I don't blame you for any of this. It was penny's doing."

"But even after I wasn't under penny's influence and you became one of my closest friends, I didn't tell you, even after you told me you were a Conserntlia, I didn't speak out. After everything that happened between us, I didn't even hint it," his eyes shone with hatred, directed at himself. He wasn't angry at me for putting him in jail, he didn't even seem to care, he hated himself for doing this.

"Kain," I snapped making him look directly at me, "I will not let you bet yourself up over this, don't be angry at yourself, be angry at me, hate me, without me you would never have to go through this. Blame me, but don't for one second think that you are the problem."

"Without you I would've never reconnected with my siblings, never changed, I would still be the loser that was going no where. Jackie you have no idea how much you've helped me, helped everyone, we were the ones that wronged you. I could never blame you for this, it wasn't your fault that it happened to you-"

I cut him off, "It wasn't your fault Kain, it was Penny, she was crazy."

He ran a frustrated hand through his hair, "she was a crazy bitch, but I still never spoke up."

"She threatened to take away your family, you couldn't take that risk."

I had a feeling that I had made my point, and when the self hatred washed away from his eyes I knew I had.

"Your free to go Kain," I smiled lightly.

He ran a hand through his hair, "will we see you again?"

"I'll be at the graduation, but I'm gone after that," he surprised me by hugging me tightly as I said that.

"I hope you find what your looking for Jackie, and one day a few years from now, that I'll see you and you would've put all of this behind you and you'll be happy."

I would've chuckled at the fact that he reminded me of Alfred saying that to Bruce Wayne but he wasn't joking, he was serious and I doubt I would see him again, but who knows.

"Goodbye Kain," he nodded and left the room.

I waited a few minutes before standing and straightening out my clothes Toby had texted me to say he had left and that he'd drop by the hospital later.

I opened the door waving at Justin before leaving and going to my car. I sighed though when I saw Tabby and Kara.

"I was going to talk to you," I unlocked my car with a flash of the head lights.

Kara shrugged, "We know, we just prefer sooner then later."

"What do you guys want?" I questioned not moving towards my door.

"To say thank you, and to see if your alright," Tabby gave me a sad smile.

"I'm pretty good actually, why are you thanking me?"

"For everything you've done," Kara smiled and I was enveloped in a bone crushing hug by her.

So she knows I'm a Conserntlia then?

I looked at Tabby mouthing the question, she shook her head as a no.

A frown made its way onto my face, "What did I do?"

Kara pulled away, "you've been with me through everything, when I told you about my mum you stood by me. You helped me come out of my shell, I would have had no friends if you didn't come along. Honest to god, you are the most amazing person that I've ever met."

My frown deepened a tad, "I left for an entire term without telling you and came back without you knowing I had."

"And what was the first conversation you had with me when you came back?" She asked rhetorically, "You asked if I was okay, and about my relationship. You didn't once make the conversation about you."

"I wouldn't have told you about me if you had asked," I pointed out, she rolled her eyes.

"Told you she would deny it," tabby tsked and Kara gave her a five dollar note.

I chuckled at this, "Your hopeless Tabby, you're going to be such a bad gambler."

She stuck her tongue out tucking the note into her cleavage.

"You coming to prom?"

I shook my head, "Im going to the graduation event, but not prom."

Both the girls frowned, "Why?"

I shrugged, "No point, I have to pack up my house anyway."

Their frowns deepened, "Why?"

"I'm not staying in Jai," I ran my good hand through my hair.

"Where will you go?"

"Don't know, I have to go talk things out with my grandmother so I'll be in Roberson for a while, but my internship is based in Blackwood so I'll probably end up there," I told half truths, it wasn't an internship, it was a take over of the company and I had excelled in my training the term I had left.

Kara grinned, "I got an art scholarship to study at their university."

I smiled, I actually had nothing to do with that.

"Congrats."

Tabbys phone ran and she smiled before answering it, "Hello?"

"Zac?.... Your out.... Alright..... Yeah, no..... Well actually.... Alright .... See ya soon," she looked back at us, "I gotta go, and Kara were carpooling."

"Alright then, I'll see you later Jackie, at the graduation," Kara beamed bouncing after Tabby.

I smiled at her before getting into my car and pulling out of the parking lot.

<><><><>

Thank you to all those people who PM me and leave messages on my board about my book, you guys are seriously amazing and I would have no idea where I would be right now without you. I'd probably given up.

My words aren't working right now so I'm gonna keep it short.

Next update in a week and if you really wanna know something Message me because I don't always see the comments.

<3

-J