~4~

"They were the wave of fresh air that my brother and I needed to live again

"They were the wave of fresh air that my brother and I needed to live again. "

Shouts, insults, the sound of the dishes breaking and Niccolò holding her tightly against him.

Niccolò, he had always been the one to take everything on his shoulders. He may have been born after her but he was always the one to take care of her first. Even though the persistent arguments of their parents were because of her. After all, she had denounced their mother.

Now their family was broken. They had been in their room for several days now. The arguments had become far too much to handle for them.

They could go out only when one of their parents left the room. And even then it was not enough to stop the fury of their two parents. Their mother had scratched all their father's vintage cars with her keys this afternoon. The last time, their father had scissored all the provocative dresses of their mother.

It had been going on for years now and that did not seem to stop. At this point, the twins had been exposed to far more violence and bad words than necessary.

They did not recognize their parents anymore.

But what was even worse than seeing their parents tear apart was to feel the lack of their love. They no longer paid attention to them or even listened to them. And to be honest, they were not sure they wanted to get their parents' attention. Otherwise, they would eventually notice how much they had changed in the last five years.

Five years, it had been five years since they had tried to live with this heavy secret. Five years they displayed a false personality to suit the standard of high society. Five years that they were pretending with the Nuniers when they could hardly contain their rage at the sight of the man at the origin of the ruin of their family.

A sudden violent slamming of a door made Alba jump, leaving Niccolò tighten his grip on her shoulders as he whispered against her ear."Shhh ... it's okay. I'm here. I'm here, Alb."

Alba sniffed, rubbing her tears down her cheeks before glancing over Niccolò over her shoulder."I'm sorry, Nicco. If I had known- "

"Hey! Don't say that !" Niccoco hissed suddenly, shaking her slightly to hold her gaze."I forbid you to say that!" Alba held his gaze for a moment clearly frightened before nestling her nose in the crook of his neck as he hugged her against him."Shh ... I promise you everything will work out."

"How?" Alba insisted in renewed energy and indignation."How could it be arranged? Aren't you tired of playing the comedy every day? To pose as a united front when we are all but behind the walls? Our family is broken, Niccolò. Broken."

"We owe it to dad, Alb." Niccolò recalled in a tired sigh. It was not the first time they had this kind of conversation. "And then, Marina and Guzman are our friends."