Sneaking out

Peter was reading in his room when Bucky knocked.
"U-uh... Peter?"
Yeah..?"
"I was thinking... maybe we could sneak out of here sometime..?"

Peter gasped, it was loud enough for Bucky to hear even from outside of the room. "Yes!!"

"I heard there was a pretty cool science museum.. wanna go?" Bucky asked, smiling softly to himself at the fact Peter could literally not be any more pure.

"Yes!"
"Great. I'll find a way to get us out of here."
"Okay, I'll tell Ned."

***

"Found a way out." Bucky whispered to Peter and Ned, who were discussing ways to make the web fluid even stronger. Peter thought if he made it strong enough, Tony might let him out as Spider-Man for a little while. It may have been wishful thinking - and it was - but Peter had gotten pretty good at wishful thinking recently.

"Okay, let's go."
"Yes!"
"It's called the creative back door."
"Brilliant!" Peter laughed.

The three climbed out, and Bucky spent at least 15 minutes trying to convince the man at the metal detector before they were allowed in that it was just his arm, which was safe. Ned couldn't stop wheezing.
"Ned, love, don't die on me."
Bucky looked at him, concerned, then back at Peter, "Is he okay?"
"Kay, I'm good." Ned said after he had finally calmed down.

When they got into the actual science part of the museum, all three of their eyes lit up with joy.

It reminded Bucky of something, something... something. What was it? He couldn't remember. Not that he thought he wanted to at this point anyways. He pushed it to the back of his mind, and continued to nerd out with Peter and Ned. Both of which where squealing happily and literally jumping with joy. Everyone else looked so confused and concerned.

Bucky got down on his knees and bowed to the giant globe.
"Oh my god!" Peter laughed.
"This is beautiful!"
"BOW DOWN BEFORE YOUR KING!"
Peter and Ned both bowed, and the three of them got up to a bunch more shenanigans.

"Yo, Petey!" Ned called when he saw something cool.

Peter's head snapped toward Ned, looking terrified, thinking Steve would be there. Although he could clearly see it was just Ned, he was still scared. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to stop the memories from flooding back. It got harder and harder for him to breathe, and he subconsciously moved his hands to shield his head as though Steve would come along any second, grab him by the hair and throw him back into that room.

"Uhhh.. Peter..?"
Bucky came over to them, and tried to put a reassuring hand on Peter's shoulder. "Peter, you good?"

But it wasn't reassuring. Peter flinched hard and tried to pull his arm away without moving it away from his head. He started to mutter things about not hurting them while he shook his head, his whole body trembling. Memories slowly started flooding back in; creepy smiling. Empty room. Torture. Branding. Tilting his head up. Beatings. Torture. Boots. Suggestive looks. Scolds bridles. Drugs. Threats. All he could think about was Steve, it felt like he was back in that room being tortured. The fact he had escaped was like a forgotten memory buried deep in the back of his mind.

Bucky looked at Peter, concerned. Then he glanced back at Ned. "Do you know what's up with him?"
Ned shrugged and Peter started crying.
"Shit.. maybe we should go home...?"
At this point, everyone was staring at the trio.
Bucky's softest and most comforting mum voice had been activated, "Peter? Peter, I need you to talk to me.. it's okay, it'll be okay."

Peter shook his head, still shaking and now muttering things about not letting Steve take Ned. Which, for good reason, mortified the boy.

Bucky's brotherly instincts were kicking in. He didn't know why, or how, seeing as he didn't even know if he had any siblings, but it happened.
"Peter, I want to help you, but you're gonna need to open your eyes and talk to me, hun. It's okay. He can't hurt you here. He won't take Ned."

The truth is, Peter didn't want to open his eyes and see the empty room, he didn't want to realise he couldn't hug his dad because he was on the other side of that wall. But he knew he didn't have a choice, so he slowly opened his eyes, moving his hands from his head. He was still trembling and crying.

"What's wrong, Peter?"
"S-Steve..."
"Alright.. well.. I just want you to know, he can't hurt you or Ned here, okay? I won't let him. You're safe here."
Peter nodded slowly, but he was tired of the empty promises. The truth was, Steve could do whatever the hell he damn well pleased, and there was nothing any of them could do about that. He knew it wasn't going to help him get better by thinking that way, but he also knew there was a line between optimistic thinking and stupidity.  "Sorry..."

'Isn't... wait, Steve..? He's nice, right? Oh well... my, uh... I guess these are brotherly instincts...? They're telling me to just be supportive I guess... so that's what I'll do...'

"Don't be sorry, you have every right to be scared. I don't think anyone would blame you for feeling that way after what you've experienced. Anyone would be scared."
"O-okay..."
Bucky smiles reassuringly, "You wanna go home?"
Peter nodded.
"Okay," Bucky said, taking off his jacket and giving it to Peter.

They took Ned home and then went home themselves, going through the front window this time. Tony was waiting for them.