Sneaking out again

Peter had just woken up, he found it really strange that he hadn't had a nightmare since he had gotten out, it was even weirder since he did get nightmares when he was in the room, why did they stop? He decided not to question it, by the looks of things, his dad hadn't slept since before he was taken.

And Tony hadn't.

With him taking on Bucky's nightmares - old ones from HYDRA or any to do with Steve- Peter's nightmares and his own (the new experiences of Steve not only created new ones, but also brought back old ones of Afghanistan and Obadiah), well, it wasn't a surprise that his body wouldn't let him sleep. He had tried, he really had, it didn't matter to him how bad the nightmares were at this point, he had never been this tired. Even when he didn't sleep for weeks, but he just couldn't.

So instead he chugged coffee even more than usual.

It didn't really surprise Peter, but it still upset him.

"How have you not passed out yet?"
"I'm a demon. It takes more than I couple of nights of lost sleep to kill me."
"Fair enough. Is that even healthy though, like, even with being a demon?"
"Probably not."

Peter just snatched the coffee right out of Tony's hands before he could take another sip.

"You need to sleep."
"No I don't."
"Are you sure?"
"I'll sleep when I'm dead."
"You're a demon, aren't you like... half dead already?"
"Fair point. I'll sleep when I'm all the way dead."
"No."
"Yes."
"Why not?"
"Why?"
"That makes no sense, and I asked first so answer my question."
"I asked second so answer my question."
"Because it's unhealthy, and you need to sleep. What's so bad about sleeping?"
"I.." Tony sighed deeply, "In all honesty, I'm scared of the dreams."
Peter hugged Tony, he returned the gesture. "Just try? After you've slept you can have all the coffee you want."

Tony supposed that since Peter wasn't sleeping right now, and Bucky wasn't here, so he wasn't taking nightmares, he might be able to sleep. He could deal with his own nightmares. Sure he could. Yep. Definitely can do that. It couldn't hurt...

"Fine, I'll go to bed."
"Yay!" Peter grinned happily, he loved it when his dad actually took care of himself for a change.

Tony smiled slightly, then he slowly trudged upstairs. Peter could tell he was exhausted; physically and emotionally.

It made him feel bad about what he was about to do, but he knew he had to. Regardless of the fact he knew how disappointed his dad would be if he found out.

"FRIDAY?"
"Yes, Peter?"
"I'm going out. If I'm not back when dad wakes up tell him I'm asleep and don't let him in my room."
"Consider it done."
"Thanks. Bye, FRIDAY."
"Goodbye, Peter."

Peter put on the spider suit and climbed out the window. Mostly he was just looking for his dad, but he still did his usual patrol stuff. It felt good to be out again after 3 months, and he was glad his suit had a heater.

***

Peter climbed in back through his bedroom window, putting on his pyjamas so it looked like he was just sleeping. When he got downstairs, he saw his dad sat by the counter. Tony was wearing one of Bucky's sweaters and drinking coffee.
"Hey Pete." Tony said, switching on the tv.
"Hi..." Peter trailed off as he watched the news, a deep blush rising on his cheeks.

Tony froze there as the footage of Spider-Man rolled, and slowly turned his head towards Peter, his eyes glinting with anger. Peter felt himself freeze, all of his muscles going tense.

"What. Did you. Do?"