Part 18

"Unnie!!"

You had all but taken two steps inside the cafe to start your shift before you were practically tackled by your new coworker.

All of those awkward thoughts about how you should approach her after that brutal rejection the day earlier had quickly evaporated.

She seemed as excited as ever to see you this morning.

Maybe even too excited?

Is this girl bulletproof?

"Morning Hana," you mumbled back, buried deep in her overflowing hair, still too sleepy for any kind of human interaction and borderline suffocating from from her choke-hold.

Ji-eun must have noticed your struggle, as all that could be heard was her snorting laughter from the opposite end on the cafe.

As you caught your breath, slightly scared that you might cough up one of Hana's fur-balls, you made your way down to the back room to set your bag down and begin your shift.

I won't be needing any coffee to wake me up after that weird encounter...

This morning was as average as ever with such a slow customer-flow, so you were able to get to know your new co-worker some more.

It was quickly discovered that Kim Namjoon was Hana's all-time bias. An interesting choice, but perhaps Namjoon's brain power could make up for her clear lacking of it.

She always spoke with such devotion and adoration to her fearless leader, however she also seemed so easily influenced and wavering each time either yourself or Ji-eun spoke about your own biases... or any other guy for that matter.

As if it was all some kind of competition for her.

And somehow it made sense, in a lot of ways.

Wanting what other people have. Wanting to be ahead of everyone in every sense of the word.

Especially with boys.

Without killing your brain too much by thinking about it, it was almost as if she was taking all of her insecurities out on being competitive instead, not quite comprehending the consequences of trying to chase after other people's crushes.

While you could totally relate and empathize with her predicament, it was also equally infuriating each time she would try to one-up either yourself or Ji-eun.

But I mean, they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?

Oh well, she's just young..

Maybe she'll grow out of it.

"Yah, (Y/N). I have a theory," Ji-eun whispered beside you as Hana was busy serving a new customer. "We should totally see if she really will like any guy we set out targets on,"

"What do you mean any guy?" you giggled, wondering where your best friend was going with this.

"Didn't you notice? Each time we talk about anyone we like, she jumps right onto it like she's trying to win something? Just the same as she did with your 7:42 black coffee guy?"

"Obviously I noticed!" you laughed, playfully flicking her across the forehead. "But what exactly are you trying to get at?"

"Well, I'm quite convinced that if I were to talk long enough about my cat to her, that she'll start declaring her undying love for him."

"Oh my god. I see exactly where you're going with this..." you answered half laughing, wondering how she finds the time to come up with all these weird ideas on the daily. "But I don't even think we need to test out your theory to know our answer."