Chapter Five

Two years later...

The annual Sawyer gala was set for the first weekend of June. With preparations underway, Iris prayed she was anywhere but where she was at, the mall.

'Ma can we please leave, I've got to help set up the hall for the event. Plus you insisted I take part in the traditional dance, now you won't let me rehearse. Mum are you listening?', Iris asked exasperated as she watched her mother bent over the linen section, trying to pick napkins to be used for the gala.

'Mum!!!'

'Yes dear, I heard you and like I said at the beginning of this shopping spree feel free to go when you're tired. This is the only time I get to entertain guests here in New York every year and it'll be nothing but the best!'

'Mum we both know your parties have no comparison; plus you host this ball during chrismas at the ranch so can I be excused to go do what you parents have deemed us as our duty for your entertainment? Thank you, I'll send Lupita to come join you, bye Ma!!'

//////////

"So you're saying that as many of us as are unmarried, the heirs included, must take part in the masquerade dance to entertain our parents? That's rich man!', Evan sitting across Ian at a bar laughed at the grimace on his face.

'Yea, keep laughing till you're paired with Heather Simons for a waltz, the girl has got two left feet with the attitude of an oaf to match!!',

'But this year it's not the waltz that's chosen..'

'The waltz happens at every single occasion. Just that this year, it's the final dance', James cut in from across the room as he helped Shelby into a seat, before resuming his position next to her.

'The last ball before we got married was simply magical, but I won't let your outdated rules stop me from participating this year James. You either dance with me or I'll find myself a dance partner'. She said staring right into his eyes as a frown graced his features.

'The hell you are.' he muttered under his breathe but everyone at the table heard him and cautiously hid their laughter.

'Yes I am. According to my dearest husband, only the singles take part in the dance. But he's about to find out that such rules can be bent by yours truly'.

'You just had a baby honey; you should be resting not trying to find reasons to exert energy

'That baby in question is one week old and happens to be my second child, so save that bull for a starry eyed under aged first time mom', brushing her hair over for a dramatic flair, she faced Evan and Ian who were both turning red from holding in laughter at the shocked face of James.

Poor guy looked lost.

'And you two', they immediately sat up straighter. 'Who's your date Ian. If you mention Greta I'll deck you out with the baby stroller', she warned, hand already reaching out for the stroller.

'No, I'm not doing that this year. Matt's knuckle prints are still visible on my jaw, thank you very much. He very nearly dislocated it the last time', he said with a grimace.

'That'll teach you not to mess with another man's woman', James added from the background.

'How was I to know he was serious, he only mentioned her in passing so I felt like annoying him. Didn't know he was caught up'. At Shelby's doubtful look he said, 'fine! I had a clue, just wanted to test out a theory. Besides he should thank me, aren't they getting married next summer?'

'Tell me darling', she held his hand closest to her. 'Does the bride by chance know that she's getting married next summer?' Shelby asked sweetly. Too sweetly, but rather than warn Ian, James let it play out.

'Of course! Eventually', only sharp reflexes saved him from being bashed with the baby bag.

Evan of course hollered with laughter, James smiled proudly at his wife and Ian hid behind his chair.

'If I hear that you rat brained twins forced that girl into marriage I will skewer both of you. Can you believe these guys honey?!', she rounded on her husband who composed his features to bewildered at the idea. Knowing fully well that that was how he got her to marry him.

'I might have let it slide in my own time because everything turned out great but if you guys think I'll sit back and let it happen to someone else when she isn't into it then you are sadly mistaken. I'm taking my baby away from you guys, don't know if what gives you guys such thinking is contagious!!!'. And she stormed off with her baby towards the exit of the club.

'Just great. Didn't I warn you not to say anything while she was here? Now I've got an angry wife to deal with. Later guys', he followed her out.

'Such help you were!', Ian glared at his friend who had been quietly nursing a mug of beer and enjoying the scene.

'Oh my dear boy, unlike you I tend to choose the right battles. Look on the bright side, no injuries right?, cheers'. His laughter rang out as Ian glowered at him.

∞∞∞

The music as always was beautiful, the night breeze was the right temperature and the guests were particularly joyful. Everybody seemed to be caught up in the celebrations, by the looks of it; it was indeed a fruitful year.

'Hey little bird', came a voice that she's grown to love adore right over her shoulder.

'Hey daddy, what are doing hiding with your daughter?, you should be out there playing chief host', hugging her 5'6 self to his 6'4 frame. Mehn this man is long!!

'Pish-posh!! Your mother has got that part covered. Would you look at that?', turning to what he was pointing at, or rather who. The view immediately lit fire in her eyes.

'What is he doing here Dad?',

'Don't look at me little bird, I didn't invite him. Probably your mum did, so he could maybe check on the boy. He's his father after all',

'For someone who didn't invite him, you do know a lot about him being here', she narrowed her eyes at him before stepping away to deal with the menace that was named Peter Maxwell.

As though sensing her angry gaze, he turned towards her direction, made eye contact and gave a small smile, which responded to with frosted glare.

Turning around she headed to the foyer without checking to know if he would follow...

Comment and vote...
God bless you 😚😚