Chapter Twelve

Amen to that 🥂

Amen to that 🥂

××××××××××××××××

What started out as 'checking up' messages turned into constant conversations.

The way they blended in with each other was bothering Iris, she promised herself not to fall but somehow she knew that ship had sailed.

Phone calls, texting, trading pictures, wake up calls, good night text; all that was left was a label. They both knew it, but Iris was bent on not falling for it; or rather not making it easy for him. She'd made it easy once but not anymore.

It's been months since the lawsuits; but Evan was nowhere near done with his self-imposed exile. Three months and he was somehow still finding things to keep him occupied; he was lucky to have a good team on ground.

A notification on her phone got her attention, looking at it she found it to be a message from Ian. Opening the message it was a plea for her to buy chocolate ice cream on her way back from work; the guy could act like he was having periods sometimes.

Not bothering to respond she went back to enjoying her lunch break. They had a busy morning at the clinic, she could count on one hand how many times she sat down that morning. So she was in no mood to do anything else other than sitting down. She'd even sat down without getting the said lunch.

Groaning she pushed herself to go get it from the cafeteria which was lucky two doors down the hall from the nurses' lounge. It was called the nurses' lounge but everyone hung out there; well because they had a television that was always on and someone had done a box office subscription that somehow never ran out.

Going back home, as soon as she stepped through the doors she was greeted by her mother who seemed to be on her way somewhere. Not to forget the bags she saw by the stairs, looking up she saw her father calmly walking down the stairs while her mother was fretting for God knows what.

'Hey little bird', her dad greeted once he saw her.

'Hey pops, where to?'

'Not even sure. I'm playing escort here. She's been talking about this new line of wine she's been working on. Seems today is the wine tasting', he smiled as Iris rolled her eyes. She was never a fan of wines after she got drunk after downing a full glass.

'Well you guys have fun, I'm going to get reacquainted with my bed', she quickly stood on her toes and kissed him on the cheek before heading up the stairs herself.

Placing her bag on her table she realized that she didn't drop off the ice cream she got for Ian; she took off her shoes and padded bare footed to the kitchen and nearly dropped the tub by what she saw. Or rather who.

Evan was engaged in a serious conversation with her two year old son while Ian for reason yet unknown had an ice pack on his head. Probably trying to not take drugs for a headache.

'And this?'

'This is mama. Mama sweeping',

'Is that right?'

'Mama work',

'Yes, she'll be home soon',

'Mama!!", Travis finally saw her and made a move to be let down and as soon as he hit the ground he ran towards Iris who settled for kneeling down and hugging him.

'How's my baby doing'

'I'm not a baby',

'Sure you are'

'Am a big bwoy!'

'Exactly', she smiled as he made an adorably confused face.

'Here you go Ian, and go take the damn aspirin before you freeze what's left of your brain cells', she finally turned to face Evan who was quiet the whole time.

'Hi', she tried to ask natural but the way her heart was beating was telling a different story.

'Hi Belle', ever since he found her middle name was Mirabelle he had settled for calling her Belle. Only James addressed her as such, and that was when he wanted something from her.

Deciding to play it cool as not to catch Ian's attention she side stepped little Travis and went to place the ice cream tub in the freezer; 'When did you get here?',

'In the early hours of the morning; Ian invited me over to check out the annual Polo match. Heard you're participating'

'Yup, kinda have been doing that since I was fifteen. Of course dad wasn't home for my first game. But he came in during the game and had me removed from my horse personally', she finished with a smile which Ian and Evan were wearing as well.

'Yup, pops nearly had a coronary when he saw her on the horse. And that was the end of the game that afternoon too', Ian piped in.

'Well, let me go freshen up and I'll be right back', she was barely out of the kitchen when Travis screamed 'Mama!!!!' and started crying.

'Still here baby, come on', his ran as fast as his little legs could into her. She then held his hands as he climbed the stairs to her room.

'So Iris rides pretty good I presume and everyone else plays polo?' Evan asked conversationally.

'Yup, she's like our secret weapon; very good too. Let's hope we win this year too; not sure James will oblige us this year. Aside from that it's the Sawyer clan against every and anybody'

'Cool'

Guess he was in for some sort of entertainment.

#########

After an eventful week, they were finally at the finals of the Polo match. Spectators from areas of the town had turned up to be thoroughly entertained; and they weren't disappointed.

The match had commenced and the odds kept switching in favor of the two teams on the pitch, Iris was getting antsy from watching the game. She was yet to go on the pitch; her usual horse had been acting up all week, so she had the assignment of breaking in a new horse. Something she had done endless times before.

Soon she was signaled to replace Ian. As she saddled up she felt an all familiar gaze on her; looking up she saw Evan standing in one of the stands reserved for the Sawyer family, with Travis nearby on Mama Becs' laps. Though he was wearing shades she could still feel the intensity of his gaze.

Giving him a smile and a wave which he returned she turned the horse to join the game.

As though her presence was the trigger, her team began scoring. The crowd went into a frenzy watching Iris race her horse and scores points.

Trying to key in the last goal before the game timed out, she pushed her horse to go faster. The horse kept up for a while till it got spooked by God knows what and stopped immediately. Iris couldn't understand what was going on till she was sent flying off the horse.

Due to reflex, she wedged her fall with her arms; saving her neck but snapping her ulna clean in two. The impact of the fall was felt seconds after she landed, it felt like fire was making its way up thighs and continuing its journey up her arms.

She tried to hold in the pain but as soon as someone she guessed from the stand-by medical team touched the said hand she screamed out in pain. Disorientation set in, and with time the sounds around her faded as she gave in to unconsciousness.

Comment and vote..
God bless you 😘😘