Chapter Thirteen

So it's independence day her in Nigeria. Therefore I'm giving a big should out to all Nigerians across the world.

Happy independence day !!!!!!!!

And we will be celebrating with a mass release..... I'm know I know... I'm just so excited plus this marks the beginning of the Reach Out Season 💃💃💃💃💃

Sit back and enjoy 😍😍😍

Evan's POV

It felt like he was trapped in another nightmare; one minute he was cheering her wins and the next minute the horse suddenly stopped, and then he watched her go.

He never felt so helpless in his entire existence.

Even the factory accident had nothing on this. Jesus!!

Good thing Travis was distracted when the fall happened. He couldn't imagine the trauma that that would have left on him; heck he was a grown ass man and he was concerned that the scene would repeat itself in his head over and over.

Whenever he closed his eyes it replayed before him; she really was lucky. Many had died from the same kind of fall.

Choosing not to dwell on such depressing thoughts, he turned to face Iris on the hospital bed. She was yet to wake up, the doctor said it was mainly due the drugs she was on. Something along the line of her sleeping through some of the pains she was currently feeling.

Sitting closest to her was Chris, boy did she look worse for wear. He wouldn't have expected anything else; she after all her only baby girl yet.

Bishop had stepped out to get us all coffee; her brothers went too. Just to keep busy, waiting for her to wake up was becoming uneasy.

Little Travis was home crying for his mama, and James was helping with the other kids.

Sometime later, a beautiful red head stuck her head through the door, she was dressed like a nurse. And the bag she was carrying was proof that she was either clocking out or clocking in.

'Hey little bird' she whispered as though if she spoke so loud she would wake Iris up.

Chris smiled at her and greeted,' Hey Moira. You through with your shift?',

'Yea, wanted to know if she was showing any signs of waking up or pain. Thank God she'd alive',

'Yes, thank God. I refuse to think otherwise', Moira the nurse laid a comforting hand on Chris's shoulder before she walked up to Iris and placed a kiss on her forehead.

Soon she left but not before waving a greeting at him. Chris was bent over Iris bed and was muttering words. At first he thought she was sleeping, but then he heard her words. She was bent in prayers over her baby.

Iris' POV;

Everything hurt, but thankfully her arms and thigh felt less like they were on fire. All she felt was a dull throb in the said areas. Whatever drug she was on was really a strong one.

Chancing it she opened her eyes and immediately shut it; who knew that the sun could be this bright? Or was it the lights? She couldn't tell.

After a while she felt like she should try again, but this time around she did so gently. Cracking her eyes open gently, she let her eyes adjust to the light before she pried it open more. When she finally got her eyes fully open, she looked around and took in her environment.

She was apparently alone but not for long as a connecting door opened to reveal her mum.

'Mum', she croaked. Which instantly got Chris' attention; she moved towards her and hugged her as much as she could with the bandage on.

'Oh my sweet sweet girl, you gave us quiet a scare',

'Sorry mama, I didn't see –'

'Sshh, its okay. Focus on getting better is all I need from you now. I'll leave the earful to James, even your dad has got nothing on him', Iris' shoulder shook with laughter. James was indeed going to skewer her whenever he can.

'Now, let me tell your father you're awake. He's right outside the door, and oh that young fine man. He's been around much more than we all combined. He left a few minutes ago to go freshen up', Iris blushed already guessing who she was talking about.

Not too long Bishop came into the room and gave Iris a smile that was so calming.

'Little bird, hope this is the last time you try to grey your old man's hair before the set time', he asked making her laugh but stop when she felt a dull pain in her chest area.

'Dad please stop, my ribs hurt from laughing', she begged as he too hugged her. All that was left were her brothers and baby. Speaking of which, the door opened and Travis was carried in by Chris.

'Mama!!',

'Yea baby',

He was set down on her bed and he crawled unto her body, smartly avoiding the bandages.

'Mama boo boo'

'Yes baby, mama's got a boo boo. Will you kiss it better?', he wasted no time in kissing the bandaged arm making Iris smile.

He snuggled into her and was fast asleep in no time. Looking at her mum for an explanation she told her that he refused to sleep the whole night and kept James awake crying for his mama. So she prepared herself for a tongue lashing from a sleep deprived James.

Closing her eyes she thanked God for her life; if she hadn't broken the fall with her arm they very well could have telling another story by now. God really does preserve his own.

 God really does preserve his own

Comment and vote...
Good bless you 😘😘