Chapter Sixteen

Kidding!!! You get one more 😉

'So big brother tells me you're his girlfriend'

Claire had gotten her way in going for a horse ride, but not alone as she'd hoped; they had to settle for the plough with both Claire and Iris riding on one horse, and the farm hand on another.

'Is that so?', Iris asked, very much amused. This was going to be one heck of a conversation. The girl really was a chatter box when she got comfortable around you. Iris has found herself somehow roped into sneaking her for a horse ride. But seeing as she too was restricted, they had to settle for this.

Well at least till James went back to New York in two days.

Gosh she would face her dad any day than face him; and he knew it. Even now he was somewhere at the edge of the field waiting for her to make a mishap. Her wounds and bones where completely healed but he wasn't taking a chance.

As a last resort she had called Shelby and screamed for help, which was why James was on his way to New York to give her some breathing room.

'So what else did he say?', she asked Claire sweetly. But she wasn't paying much attention to their destination or she would have known that their round trip was over and both Evan and James were patiently waiting for them to dismount the horse they were on.

'He also said he would marry you, or something along those lines. I usually tune out when he talks for too long. My young brain isn't built for that. But I could get you all the gossip you want!', she added brightly; making both the farm hand and her brother laugh, though James covered his with a cough.

'Claire', Evan called in warning, but she quickly whispered to Iris

'I think he's mad at me, he never calls me by my name'

'Then I'll have to make him not be mad at you, a tit for tat kind of situation'

'You got it!', she extended her hand for a handshake which Iris gladly shook. As Claire was being helped off the horse by James, Evan walked up to Iris;

'Hope she didn't say too much'

'Of course not, I just loved listening to her talk about a relationship that doesn't exist. Even I didn't know I was getting married' she said it in such a happy tone that he really considered killing Claire.

'She made that part up, she asked me about one of my trips here and I told her some things which she apparently chose to fill the gaps herself'

'She's a smart girl'

'Yes she is. You're not upset'

'No I'm not, just amused by her antics. I believe she sees our union as an avenue for a new holiday spot'

'And you, what do you make of our union?', he asked her quietly. When she turned she had that weary look she always had on whenever he spoke to her about them.

'An honest answer, I don't know. Months back I would have told you with a straight face and a truthful heart that we were not happening. But right now, I don't know'

'That's good enough for me for now', he took her hands and placed a kiss on each wrist. Lifting his head to look for his sister, he saw her on top a horse with James behind her running full speed across the field they were backing.

Feeling steadier on her feet, Iris said; 'She's going to talk you into bringing her here at any chance that she gets'

'No complaints here, you?'

'I could get used to that', and she smiled at him. A moment Evan would very much cherish for a very long time.

#####