18 | Fireworks

It was a Hosmade Saturday and the twins woke up extra early for it. They didn't expect Y/n to be awake as well, already eating breakfast in the Great Hall. The three sat around her, serving their own breakfast.

''You guys woke up early on a Saturday,'' Y/n pointed out, looking at each of them. ''Is there an occasion?''

''We have to get some things at Hogsmade, so we decided to get there earlier,'' Fred answered.

''What do you need? Something for a prank?'' Y/n asked as she took a bite of her scrambled eggs.

George nodded. ''Something like that.''

The four continued their breakfast, talking like usual, then both Hermione and Ginny came over, having finished with their breakfast. Y/n bade goodbye to her three friends, then the girls went back to Gryffindor Tower to get their coats.

It was cold in Hogsmade, the village still being covered in snow. The three girls went around, talking, laughing and occasionally shopping. Throughout the day, she kept seeing Fred, George and Lee, every time with a bag or two more, which made her wonder what the three were planning and why they haven't mentioned anything about it.

- - -

After having found everything they needed, the three boys went to get Butterbeers and then headed back to Hogwarts. They took off their coats when they arrived back at their dorm then dumbed the contents of the bags in their beds, starting to sort everything out.

There was a knock on the door, causing all three boys to freeze. Was Y/n back already? Was she coming to see them? She couldn't see the things yet!

''Hey, you guys in there? It's Ron and Harry,'' their little brother's voice was heard from the other side and the three boys sighed in relief. Lee went to the door and opened it, letting the two fourth years inside.

''What are you planning?'' asked Harry, observing the products on their beds. ''Are you pranking someone?''

''No, actually,'' George said, then placed his hands on his twins' shoulders and shook him slightly. ''Freddie here is going to ask Y/n to be his girlfriend!''

''Wait, you haven't asked her yet?'' Harry asked in confusion. ''She hasn't mentioned you asking her, but I just assumed, since you guys are always so lovey dovey and everything.''

Fred shook his head. ''I haven't. But I'm about to change that.''

''You need help?'' asked Ron, nodding towards the mess. ''Not like we have anything better to do anyway. Besides, I'm about to win that bet, finally.''

''Wasn't Hermione winning-''

''She isn't! We'll speed it up!'' Ron cut Harry off, causing the Chosen One to snicker. ''Anyway, what's the plan?''

- - -

The three girls entered the common room with laughs and bags. It was a long and fun girls' day and they'd thankfully managed to catch one of the last carriages back to Hogwarts. Once they made it to the dormitories, they parted ways.

Y/n entered her dorm, noticing that Angelina and Alicia were already there. She greeted them, then placed her bags next to her truck and started sorting her new possessions out.

''Hey, Y/n, Fred told me to give you this letter when you came back,'' Angelina spoke. ''I left it on your bed.''

Thanking her, Y/n got up from her crouching position and sat on the bed, picking up the letter. She opened it and jumped when something pink flew out. She looked at the trail of rose petals leading towards the door. There was a note inside the envelope and Y/n took it out.

Love,

I have a surprise for you. Just follow the petals.

Fred

''What is that?'' Alicia asked as she neared the flowers, touching one of them with caution.

''I'm not completely sure,'' Y/n said and got up, touching the first petal. It fell limp against her hand and she stared at it for a second before putting it back in the envelope. She made her way to the door, collecting all petals and putting them inside, then left the dorm. The trail of floating petals continued outside, too, and many people had gathered around them to check out what's happening.

Y/n paid them no attention as she followed the trail, which led her to the courtyard. Some people, like her roommates, Ginny and Hermione, had started following her, curious to see what would happen.

She looked around, yet there was no Fred in sight. There was a loud boom and she looked up, seeing fireworks. What surprised her even more was that they were forming words.

Will you be my girlfriend, love?

Her breath hitched in her throat as she stared at them.

''Well, love?'' Fred had appeared in front of Y/n and the girl kept looking between the fading fireworks in the air and the redhead. The boy was holding a bouquet of dark pink roses – the same color as the petals she'd collected – and had a small smile on his face.

Practically the whole school was watching now, having come out to check the commotion, but to her, it felt like they were alone. She felt teary eyed as she spoke. ''Yes, Freddie, of course!''

She threw herself in Fred's open arms as everyone around them cheered, a few whistles here and there. Y/n buried her face in the crook of his neck and hugged him as tight as she could. Fred held her just as tight.

The two pulled away slightly, looking at each other's eyes. Y/n glanced down at his lips, biting hers for a second before leaning in and pressing her lips to his. The crowd cheered louder, if possible, but neither Fred or Y/n could hear them.

Fred kissed back almost immediately, pressing her closer to his chest. When they pulled away they looked at each other's eyes again. Suddenly realized they'd just had their first kiss in front of the whole school, Y/n felt her cheeks become warmer and she hid her face in Fred's chest, whilst the boy laughed.

He noticed quite a few people exchanging money, including Hermione giving Ron a few coins – the former seemed sour about it, whilst Ron was beaming. Fred caught Cedric's gaze, too. The Hufflepuff seemed like he'd just lost the Triwizard Tournament. Fred couldn't blame him. He'd claimed the best girl at Hogwarts as his, after all.

''Good thing you accepted, it would've been awkward if you hadn't,'' Fred whispered in Y/n's ear, causing the girl to laugh. The two pulled away and Fred handed Y/n the flowers he'd gotten her. She thanked him as people started coming closer, congratulating the new couple as if they'd just gotten engaged.

''Frederik Weasley, in my office, now!'' McGonagall, who'd come at the scene, called, causing everyone to turn towards her. She didn't seem mad, though. Instead, she had a gentle smile plastered on her face as she waited for Fred to join her. Snape, who was standing next to her, didn't seem very impressed.

''Totally worth the detention,'' Fred said and pecked Y/n's cheek. ''I'll be back soon.''

Y/n watched as he walked to the two teachers, keeping the flowers close to herself. Or at least as close as she could without pricking herself with them.