54 | Cruel

Y/n groaned as the light hit her eyes. She rolled on her other side and pulled the blanket over her head, trying to block the sun. Feeling Fred shift, she smiled as he tightened his grip around her.

''Mm, love, are you awake?'' asked Fred, his voice groggy and tired.

''No,'' Y/n answered, nuzzling her face in Fred's arm, which she was using as a pillow.

Fred ran his hand – the one that'd been on her waist – through her hair, pulling her in even closer and pressed a kiss on the back of her head. They've woken up like that countless of times by now and yet she always felt that warm, fuzzy feeling in her stomach that she loved so much.

Turning around, she faced Fred. They locked eyes for a few moments, before Y/n nuzzled her face in his clothed chest. He rubbed her back soothingly, both of them enjoying the peace.

The door opened, but either of them paid it any mind. Maybe it was a mistake on their part, as the next thing they knew, there was a yell and a body had fallen diagonally on top of Fred and Y/n.

''WHAT THE HECK, GEORGE?'' Y/n yelled upon realizing who it was – who else could it have been anyway? – and trying to push him off.

''You always do that to us! I do it to you for once and you're whining like a baby,'' George tried to reason, still lying on top.

''I'm smaller than you! Get off, you're heavy!'' Y/n complained.

Fred seemed unbothered by the whole ordeal. In fact, he seemed midly amused. George got up from the two and spoke. ''Don't forget that we have to be at Lee's around noon for the podcast.'' Then he left.

The podcast Lee was hosting every few days, which he called 'Potterwatch', was used to inform the most trusted members of the Order of the Phoenix and – hopefully – reach Harry, Ron and Hermione to wherever they are, somehow.

Fred and Y/n got ready for the day, then went down for breakfast. It was reaching Christmas once again, meaning it was getting colder, so they each  wore one of their Weasley sweaters. They were so warm and comfy, Y/n loved them so much. Would Molly make some this year, too?

Fleur and Y/n served breakfast, while the three men were sitting on the dining table, when there was a knock on the door. All five of them shared looks, Bill and Fred taking their wands out. The two went to open the door, whilst George, Fleur and Y/n remained in the kitchen. Y/n took her wand out, ready to help if needed.

Bill and Fred shared a look, both of them pointing their wands at the door. They nodded before Bill took a hold of the doorknob and twisted it, throwing the door open.

''Bill, it's me! Don't attack me!''

''Tell us something only you'd know,'' Fred spoke, neither he or Bill lowering their wands.

''Uh . . . oh! When I was little, you turned my teddy bear in a spider and now I have arachnophobia because of that.''

''That's him,'' Fred said, putting his wand down.

It took a few moments, but Fred and Bill soon returned to the kitchen, none other than the youngest Weasley brother trailing behind them.

''Ron?'' George asked as he stood up, examining his brother.

''Hey . . .'' Ron said, looking at everyone in the room.

''I guess we'll need another plate.''

- - -

The – now – six of them sat down on the table, listening intently to Ron's story. He told them about how they disapparated at the wedding, how they found out about the Horcruxes, how when they were at the Ministry they took a Horcrux from Umbridge, how the necklace made him say things he didn't actually mean, how he ran away and then tried to go back, but couldn't find Harry and Hermione, how on the way back he ran into Snatchers and until he knocked on the door.

''Godric, you went through a lot,'' Y/n commented, her mind not being able to comprehend everything Ron was telling them.

They're teenagers, kids. They shouldn't have to go through this. Same goes for the others - the twins and Y/n aren't even twenty yet. Harry, Ron and Hermione should've been enjoying their last year at Hogwarts. Bill and Fleur should've been able to enjoy their honeymoon. Fred and George should've been working in their shop. Y/n's parents should've still been in England with her. Y/n should've been still learning how to be an Auror.

And yet, all of them were fighting a war with You-Know-Who. Anyone can die at any time at this point. They shouldn't have to go through all this. They didn't do anything wrong to deserve this.

''You can stay as long as you need,'' Fleur said as she put a hand on Ron's shoulder in concern.

''Thanks, Fleur,'' Ron nodded, sporting a weak smile.

Live was cruel. Beautiful, very, very beautiful, but equally cruel.