42 | Goodbye, Hogwarts

Y/n and Lee plopped on the couch, letting out relieved sighs. ''We did it.''

They'd just finished their last NEWT exam – after years of studying and months of preparation, it was finally over and Y/n wasn't sure how she felt about that. There was a week of school left before they'd leave.

''I can't believe it,'' Y/n said, as if in disbelief. ''We're leaving Hogwarts in a week, probably never to come back.''

''I'm pretty sure one day our kids will get in enough trouble to call us to come here, don't dwell on it too much,'' Lee reassured.

Y/n laughed. ''Considering our school history, you're probably right. Why was I made a Prefect again?''

''Didn't Dumbledore think you'd be able to calm the twins down a bit?'' asked Lee.

''Yeah, but the exact opposite happened. If anything, they had access to more places and their pranks got even worse.''

The two remained quiet for a second, before Lee spoke, ''Do you remember the first time they pranked Snape?''

''Of course I do! He looked so offended!'' Y/n laughed at the memory. ''Do you remember Fred and George's first game?''

''Oh yeah, it was when they chose me to be a commentator because I could tell them apart,'' Lee laughed. And so the two sat for the next few hours, recalling their life at Hogwarts.

- - -

''Come in.''

Y/n opened the door, entering the office. McGonagall sat at her desk, having looked up to see who'd entered. ''How can I help you, Miss L/n? Shouldn't you be heading to the boats?''

''I'll go in a minute,'' Y/n said as she stood in front of her teacher's desk. ''I just wanted to personally thank you for these . . . literally magical past seven years, Professor.''

A smile broke on the old professor's face as she stood up. ''I was very glad to have you as my student, Miss L/n,'' she said. ''To be frank, I will miss you and your friends' pranks. I found them quite enjoyable.''

Y/n laughed and nodded at her teacher. ''Farewell, Professor,'' she said with a small smile on her young face.

''Goodbye, Miss L/n. I wish you a bright future.''

- - -

Y/n, Lee, Angelina and Alicia stood in front of the boats as they waited to be told to board. Their trunks were already in the Hogwarts Express, which was waiting for the seventh years.

''This is it,'' Y/n said as she looked at her friends, then back at the castle. Many of her memories flashed in front of her eyes, allowing a smile to make its way on her face. She was going to miss the place.

The four climbed on a boat together, with Lee and Y/n in the front. ''This feels nostalgic,'' the former said.

''Tell me about it, I'm about to cry,'' Y/n said, feeling the tears already building up in her eyes. She looked around and at each boat, at all her classmates that she was so used to see every day, which won't be the case anymore. She won't be sharing a dorm with her best friends, she won't be pulling anymore pranks on Snape with the twins, she won't be having any more study sessions in the library. Nothing. They were going in the real world now – starting jobs, making names for themselves, settling down, starting families. It seemed terrifying and yet . . . exciting.

''I wish Fred and George were here,'' Y/n admitted.

''Let's be honest, we knew they would drop out from the beginning,'' Lee commented, causing Y/n to laugh and agree.

They arrived at Hogsmade station and boarded the Hogwarts Express. Sitting down in the compartment they sit in every time they use the train felt empty without Fred and George. Y/n really wished the two were there so they could experience it alongside her, but she knew that was never in their plans. Besides, they would see them in a few hours anyway. Fred did promise to come pick her up at the train station, after all.

Y/n watched though the window as the train took off and the school disappeared in the distance. ''Goodbye, Hogwarts,'' she whispered quietly, then turned back to her friends and joined their conversation.

They talked about anything and everything – gossip, plans, memories, anything that came to mind and that's how the long train ride passed. King's Cross came into view too soon for Y/n's liking, as this was her last Hogwarts Express ride. She felt like crying, but she held it in.

Y/n and her friends left the train, the girls having a teary goodbye. Lee didn't seem that bothered with bidding Y/n farewell, considering he was most likely going to hang around the shop all day anyway.

Everyone went their separate ways, then. Y/n grabbed her trunk and started to look around, trying to spot the clan of red heads. She couldn't see them anywhere, which was confusing, since usually you can see them from kilometers away.

''Hello, love.'' Y/n turned around and saw Fred behind her, a nice suit jacket on his shoulders. Dropping her trunk on the ground, she threw her arms around his neck and held him in a tight hug.

''Freddie!'' she exclaimed as the two of them laughed.

''I missed you,'' Fred admitted as he pressed a kiss to the side of her head.

''I missed you more,'' Y/n said. ''I wish you were with us on the boats ride, it was so . . . nostalgic.''

''Oh, yeah? Tell me about it,'' Fred said as the two slightly pulled away. He cupped her cheek, pulling her in close and pressing her lips on his. Y/n let out a delighter sound, melting into the kiss.

''Oi, how long are you two going to smooch? Mum still needs to make dinner.''

The two broke the kiss and looked to the side, seeing George standing next to them. He had his arms crossed and he, too, was wearing a jacket like Fred's, though a different color.

''Georgie!'' Y/n said as she jumped away from her boyfriend and at her best friend, embracing him as well.

Fred grabbed her trunk, then the three of them went off to join the other Weasleys, who were only waiting for them. Y/n greeted Molly and Arthur, then they were off, since Molly had wanted everyone to have dinner together – at the Burrow, this time.

It all felt so nostalgic, knowing that their time at Hogwarts had come to an end and they'll probably never return there, even though Lee thought differently. It was okay, though, since she still had Fred, George, her parents, the Weasleys and her friends. Hogwarts will always be a part of her, but she had to move on and start the next chapter of her life.

And with Fred by her side, she was sure she could do it.