36 | New Seating Arrangement

Fred sat next to Y/n in their first Defence Against the Dark Arts class after the holidays. The girl was conversing with Angelina, who was sitting on the desk behind theirs, whilst Fred simply held her hand on top of the desk, admiring the ring on her pointer finger, which she hasn't removed since he gave it to her on Christmas.

Umbridge entered the room, silencing the class. Fred immediately brought their joined hands under the table, hiding it from the teacher. The toad-like woman was holding a piece of parchment in her hands as she greeted the class, which didn't give good vibes.

''So, class, I have prepared a new seating arrangement for you!'' Umbridge exclaimed cheerfully. The students shared looks, every and each one of them wanting to groan or retort in frustration, but no one dared to.

She started reading names off the paper, pairing people together. George had ended up sitting next to Roger Davies, a Ravenclaw, whilst Lee was seated with a Hufflepuff boy. Y/n and Fred had not yet been separated, but both of them doubted she'd leave the two together. ''Miss L/n, go sit in the back with Mr. Pucey,'' Umbridge commanded and Fred felt Y/n shudder at the thought. Fred gave her a reassuring squeeze before letting her hand go.

The Slytherin boy who'd been sitting next to Pucey was placed next to Fred. He noticed that currently, he and his friends were each in one of the four corners of the room, as far from each other as possible.

Fred kept his gaze on Y/n most of the time, who was seated in the back left corner in the room, whilst he was in the front right. He could see Pucey talking to her and she seemed extremely uncomfortable, causing Fred to almost snap his quill in two.

''Is there a problem, Mr. Weasley?'' Fred turned around at the teacher's voice, who'd noticed his distraught gaze to the back. The whole class redirected their attention from their books to the redhead, still as quiet as mice.

''Everything's brilliant, Professor,'' Fred said, mustering a fake grin.

''Then I see no reason for you to be looking back,'' Umrbidge said. ''Resume your reading.''

Fred rolled his eyes at her when she turned around, looking down at his book. He tried his best to steal glances at Y/n and her situation seemed the same as before. Fred was just about ready to hex the guy in the next century.

- - -

Fred was the first one out of his friends to leave the classroom, waiting for them by the door. Lee was the first one to come out, telling Fred he'd go ahead to the library since he needed to return a book. After him came George, who stopped by his brother.

''Are we heading back to the dorm?'' George asked, seeing as the two of them had a free period now.

''I'm going to wait for Y/n and walk her to class,'' Fred informed him. ''I'll see you there, though.''

George nodded in understanding, noticing Angelina walk out of the classroom and scurrying to follow her to wherever she was going, causing Fred to chuckle. Was he like that with Y/n, too?

Y/n finally left the classroom, Pucey in tow with her. He seemed very pleased with himself, annoying Fred greatly. ''See you later, sunshine.''

''Better not,'' Y/n rolled her eyes and noticed Fred leaning on the wall, quickly walking over to him. ''Pucey needs to learn what personal space means,'' she complained as Fred walked her to her next class.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and almost growled. ''I'd be happy to teach him.''

Y/n smiled, taking a hold of his hand that was dangling from her shoulder. ''It's fine, Freddie. As much as I love seeing you protective, I don't want you to get in trouble for that.''

''Fine,'' Fred sighed.

- - -

Y/n sat with the twins and Lee at breakfast, the three of them conversing about the upcoming Hogsmade visit. The morning owls flew in the Great Hall, one of them landing right in front of Y/n, who was taking a bite of her toast. It dropped a copy of the Daily Prophet and waited for Y/n to pay. She took out a knut and put it in its bag, then the owl flew away.

Fred leaned in closer, taking a peak of the newspaper's headline, which was not pleasant in the slightest. With big, black letters was written 'MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN', under it a picture of Bellatrix Lestrange screaming.

''Godric,'' Y/n breathed out at the sight.

''I'm sure they'll be caught again,'' Fred tried to reassure her, putting a hand on her shoulder. ''I mean, they caught them once, didn't they?''

''What're you two blabbing about?'' asked George, confusion written on his face.

Y/n handed over the newspaper for him and Lee to check out for themselves. ''Blimey,'' the two boys spoke in unison before giving it back.

Y/n continued reading through it until she felt something getting warmer and warmer in her pocket. She put the paper down and reached in her robe, taking out the DA coin, which went back to being cold at the contact.

''Guys, look,'' Y/n spoke in a hushed tone, showing the three the coin. ''Harry's set a new date.''

All three of them brought their own coins out, checking it out for themselves. ''That's in three days, sweet,'' Lee commented as he pocketed his coin again.

''At least I have something to look forward to this week,'' George said, doing the same.

''Class starts soon,'' Y/n commented, seeing some of her classmates leaving the Great Hall. ''I should go, see you guys later.''

The three boys waved her goodbye, then Fred turned to George and Lee. ''I need a favor.''