No Promises

I scrolled through the news feed on my phone as I sat on the bus, nibbling on the inside of my lip. ' What the hell, this number just keeps getting bigger by the day. What is going on?'

"Hey, um... can I sit here?" A strange voice murmured.

I didn't bother to look up and nodded, shifting slightly to give them more room to sit.

"Um... You look nervous about something... Can I ask, what it is?"

I sighed and put my phone down," Just, my friends and I are going through something huge right now. And I feel as though I'm the only one that is flustered by it."

The person chuckled," I'm sure you're not, maybe they are just better at handling it."

I sighed and nodded," Yeah, maybe you're right..."

"Hey now, don't be such a downer, I'm sure they're just hiding it because of you."

I looked up at them with hurt eyes," What?"

His eyes widened and he shook his head," No, no, no, no, no, no... T-That is not, not what I meant, I just. I... Um.. maybe they.. um Maybe.. I just meant.." He groaned and held his head in his hands.

I smiled softly at him," I'm Alejandra, my friends call me Ale."

He peaked out from under his hands and smiled," Joseph, Joseph Garnet."

I smiled wider," Nice to meet you."

He sighed and relaxed," I hope you know I didn't mean any harm. I just meant that, they want to protect you."

I nodded," Well, I guess you're right. I am their small child."

"You know, I feel like I've seen you somewhere before..." He whispered and pulled out his phone.

I looked at him confused," Really? I've never seen you before..."

He hummed and scrolled through his apps, trying to find the right one," Here it is!" He opened YouTube and pulled up our video.

A heavy blush dominated my face and I quickly hid.

"You're this small one here, right?" He asked and turned and looked at me.

" I am not that small!" I snapped, then instantly cowered back in my hands.

Joseph blinked and chuckled," Sure, you're big at heart. Right?"

I glanced over at him and nodded from under my hands.

"So is this the big deal you are talking about earlier?" He asked as he tucked his phone away.

I sighed and nodded," Yeah, we made a huge stride in who we are and I'm not sure if I can keep up with them."

Joseph smiled and patted my head," I'm sure that they will be there to wait for you."

I smiled at him," Yeah, you're right." 

My elders were always there for me, no matter what happened. They were always there to make sure I had someone to hug, to cry with and most of all, they helped me whenever I fell down and didn't have the strength to stand back up. 

He smiled back wide.

I blushed and looked away from him, his smile was awfully cute... I looked out the window as we pulled into the school lot. Joseph stood in the aisle, stopping the others from passing, a warm smile coating his features.

"Well then, come on now."

I nodded and hid my face behind my hair as I hurried out of the bus.