Chapter 15

My next concern was the deep gash under his jaw from Damiar's jealous flash. Ethan let out a breath knowing that was where I was going next.

It was smaller than the one on his abdomen so I really don't know what he's so worried about. This scar was still bleeding, probably due to whatever Eric did last night.

I cleaned up the surrounding blood first before squeezing his hand and cleaning the wound. He took this one much better. Whether it was from borderline passing out or just manning up, I have no idea.

I stitched it quickly and then looked down at my handiwork. It was no piece of art, but it got the job done. I knew my grandma would've gone back with me to scrutinize my work, and clenching my fists was all I could do not to burst out in tears right then and there.

Quietly, Ethan asked "Hey are you okay?"  I took a deep breath and nodded. "Yeah, just miss my family."  It was quiet for a while before he spoke up again.

"How long have you been gone?"  I shrugged. "Truly I don't know. I was taken in Virginia, and then he knocked me out for a few days. We ended up here and I've been here for I think only two.

But days sort of bored into one another here." I said sadly. "He's killed about 15 people just in these past days including my roommate and only real friend. I'm terrified. He's completely psycho and I have no doubt that I won't make it out of here alive."

I didn't know there were tears running down my face until Ethan wiped them. "Please don't say that. I miss my family too. If we don't hold onto hope, we'll die sooner. We'll die up here."

He said tapping my head gently. "You were right about what you said earlier. We've got to play into them. It's the only way out."

The thought of having to ride his rollercoaster of emotions again made me want to puke and I could see that Ethan was having the same thought.

But we both knew that it would be easier to do now that we had each other. It was like we both now had a physical representation of hope and perseverance. "Well, they're probably wondering where we are. Just be careful not to break your stitches, a nd put some ice on your bruising tonight."

He nodded and we walked back downstairs and back into the kitchen. I saw a dish towel flung lazily over Damiar's shoulder and he and Eric were laughing about something one had said.

I could smell vegetables sautéing and eggs sizzling. It almost made me smile. Damiar looked over at me and gave a half smile before looking back at the stove.

I stood there not knowing what to do. I didn't want to move without him telling me to and get in trouble, but I didn't want to stand there and get in trouble for being in the way. "Come here baby." He said quietly not taking his eyes off his work.

I looked back at Ethan to give him an apologetic smile and walked over to Damiar shaking a little bit. He stepped back from the stove and pulled me in front of him.

Eric snapped and Ethan was next to him in a flash probably starting on dishes from the sound of the water. Damiar slid his hand up and down my arms feeling my shaking decrease. "Do you know how to make an omelet?"

He said in a perky voice. I shook my head and his arms stopped. "N-no sir." He chuckled lightly. "Don't be so formal baby, it's not time for that yet."

I nodded and let him continue. He walked me through what he was doing, letting me flip the omelet over and laughing at me when I totally flopped and let the edge break. A smile crept in my face making me forget just for a few seconds where I was and why.

He somehow fixed my mistake and finally plated the omelet and set it to the side. "Yo E, you ready to eat?" Damiar called out. Yeah I think so. "Baby, grab the food from the oven and have Ethan help you bring it to the table."