Chapter 32

My feet were cold against the bare floor, as we apparently weren't allowed to wear shoes. Things were pretty strict here. The small dress didn't do anything about the stolid 70 degrees that filled the house.

I'm always cold, and on my own I usually set my house closer to 74/75. Bottom line I was freezing. Somewhere along our journey downstairs, Aviva dropped my hand and led the way towards the dining room. We arrived at a large wooden table in a beautifully decorated room.

Iron and wood clashed delicately and gave the room a worn feel. The men standing at each entrance of the room killed the whole 'homey aesthetic'. Caleb was sitting down with a loose t-shirt and black jeans. Why do we have to get all dressed up if he's just going to look like that? I internalized my groan and watched as Aviva sat down across the long table.

She looked up at me apologetically. I was nervous: where do I sit? I took a deep breath and looked towards Caleb. He finished chewing and wiped his mouth with the napkin in his lap. "Um, where do-" I started. "Don't speak unless spoken to." I nodded quickly. "That's yes sir to you."

He said harshly. Damn, I was screwing this up big time. "Yes sir." I said quietly. When he looked at me like he was about to explode I said it a few volume levels above my previous one. He nodded. "Sit here next to me, I need to get to know you a little more. I'm not sure how long you'll be here, but just in case."

I looked over to Aviva hoping she might save me, but she only held an obedient flare towards the floor. My heart dropped and my handle shook ever so slightly as I smoothed our my dress and sat down at the large table.

The men standing around us continued to look straight forward, but somehow I knew they were still looking at me. I sat still and didn't say a word as I looked down at the empty table. A few seconds later the door to the kitchen swung open and a few servants walked through with plates of food.

A plate filled with asparagus and rare sirloin was placed in front of me, still sizzling from whatever grill it was on. I didn't know what to do. I knew better than to complain, but I hadn't eaten meat for most of my life. My body has reacted to it poorly in the past.

I snuck a look up at Caleb to see him already staring at me. I went right back to my plate blushing horribly. I looked over to Aviva who gave me an apologetic look. "Eat" Caleb said quietly.

Aviva and I picked up our forks and slowly began eating what was put in front of us. I started off with the asparagus, hoping maybe he would finish dinner by the the time I was finished and then I wouldn't have to eat the steak.

I ate extremely slowly, and Caleb was finished before I was done with my asparagus. He looked over to me suspiciously. "What, you don't like it?" I shook my head violently. "No sir, this is great."  He leaned back in his chair. "Why haven't you started your steak?  It's the centerpiece of the meal."  He asked.

"I'm sorry. I just..". I really thought about what I was supposed to say. "Spit it out" he said unamused. "I don't eat meat. I'm sorry."  He nodded slowly. "Eat it." He said with a small smile. I looked up at him with confusion and fear. "B-but" "I'm going to give you one last shot at listening to me. Obviously Krogh was pretty lax with you." 

I didn't hesitate to pick up my fork again and took a deep breath. I didn't keep anyone waiting long as I cut a piece of the steak and put it into my mouth. It tasted horrible, and I could feel the juices flow in and around my mouth.

It took everything in me not to flinch. I looked up at Caleb to see a smile of approval. I kept going until I had somehow eaten the entire steak. I felt sick, and my head hurt. I leaned back feeling my dress becoming extremely restricting from all of the food I had just eaten. "Good job, Roan. I'm actually impressed."