Chapter 30

I'll say it again: I hate car rides.  The headaches, the boredom, the unforgiving tension that suffocated you because the man who kidnapped you is sitting next to you and the one who snitched on you sitting in front of you. 

Needless to say I was not having a good time.  The leather seats did not feel good against my jeans and my neck hurt from trying to get into a comfortabe postion.  I sighed dramtically, banging my head back on the headrest.  Damiar sucked in a sharp breath indicating that he was awake, and looked over to see me obviously in distress. 

He waved his hands slightly, gesturing me to climb over to him.  I defiantly looked at the ceiling in order to claim I didn't see it.  I heard him move and then felt his hands grabbing either side of my arms and forxing me to lay on top of him.  "Am I hurting you?"   I asked as I finally stopped struggling.  "No baby, your fine.  Just get comfortable."  He said. 

I felt awkward, especially with everbody else in the car.  I ended up falling asleep to the thoughts of New York and broken promises.  It was mostly a dreamless sleep with little interuptions since I was so used to sleeping next to another person.  I woke up to a hand shaking my leg.  Damiar and I groaned simutaneously, not wantning to have to face the world ahead of us.  When I saw it was Ethan I jerked back and glared at him: not saying a word, but giving quite the impression that his actions were not acceptable. 

I sat back in my seat trying to get my head to clear from its slight fog.  I heard the front car door open and my eyes shot open.  Damiar could tell this got my attention.  "We're here I guess.  Welcome to your new home."  I hated how he said it like that.  My old self vomited at his words, but the one worried for my survival made me nod with a slight smile. 

Damiar untied our ankles and gestured for me to climb out of the car behind Eric.  My feet hit the ground and my legs wobbled under all of the new weight. "Hey where's Paul going?" I asked as I saw the tall man walk away from us.  Damiar shrugged.  "He wasn't needed anymore, so I sent him to do other errands for me.  We still have to work you know: that's how we make the big bucks." 

I looked around at the insanely busy street.  We were looking at a huge building in front of us layered with glass windows revealing beautiful homes with expensive interiors.  It was extremely noisy and a lot of hustle and bustle was going on around us, even in the small parking lot.  My first instinct was to run, and without thinking my left foot shot out.  My adrenaline spiked only to be caught mid-sprint by my arm held by Damiar. 

He didn't look angry- almost as if he had expected it.  He let go of me shortly after.  "Remember what I said.  It's not just your life on the line here.  Look around at all the innocent people you almost killed."  I did.  I slowly turned to see people of all class walk through the streets just going about their day, not knowing they were so close to almost taking their last breath. 

I sighed and tensed my shoulders in anxiety and embarrassment.  Damiar took my hand and Ethan glanced at me as if to say 'that was dumb, even for you'.  I tried not to think about it too much, hopefully he knew it was an accident.  He walked me across the street and I admired the busy city and all of the people in it.  The building we were walking in to had a steel chrome look with accents of stained wood and the occasional luscious plant on the balconies of the suites. 

We walked inside and the group of us headed over to a counter where an attractive woman sat behind a computer.  She looked up and smiled.  "Hi sir."  She looked Damiar up and down.  "How can I help you today?"  My face turned red and without thinking grabbed Damiar's arm and with the sweetest voice answered, "Yes, we should have a key ready for us under Mr. and Ms. Krogh?" 

She seemed to sit back a little further in her chair and typed a few things into the computer before reaching in a drawer and producing 4 keys.  "Alrighty, here are the keys for the Krogh party.  The movers finished up placing your belongings in your suite yesterday so everything should be good to go.  Thank you for choosing Rollings Hills for your residential stay!"  She said in a chirpy voice.  Damiar nodded and grabbed the keys from her.