Chapter 23

My heart dropped and a thousand questions swam through my head so fast I thought I would pass out. I grabbed on to the counter for support and looked over at Damiar like he was going through the same thing.

It was silent for a few moments save for Eric's heavy breathing and coughing. Damiar took a few steps closer to Eric. "You didn't hear me yelling and screaming at him trying to fight him off?!" Eric yelled.

"He's a fucking small ass boy. You couldn't keep him at bay? You fucking wimp. I have made this house fucking fullproof. There is no way he can get out of here without help. So explain to me how he just happened to fucking escape." Eric looked pissed.

"Are you fucking kidding me Krogh? You think I let that shithead go? He punched the fuck out of me and took my key ring which had the.. you know."  Damiar leaned forward and grabbed Eric by the collar.

"NO DIPSHIT I DONT FUCKING KNOW!"  "FUCK OFF OF ME YOU ASSHOLE! ITS THE EMERGENCY BREAKOUT FOR IF YOU WENT BATSHIT!" Damiar gave a hard punch to his nose, definitely breaking it if it wasn't already.

"Why would you have that made?? Are you fucking stupid?!" He said still upset but obviously relieved Eric wasn't a mole. "I'm sorry. I didn't think he knew about it. But we've got to find him!" Damiar nodded.

I still felt dizzy, but one emotion was clear and prevalent: betrayed. He just left me here. He didn't even try. Maybe if I had just stayed with him instead of snitching on him.  "Ro stay here. I swear to fucking god if you try to run I'll make those scars look like child's play." 

I nodded vigorously wanting nothing to do with whatever punishment he had planned. I'll probably start some laundry and dishes while he's gone. "I'm going to send out an alert throughout the neighborhood. He probably hadn't gotten very far."

Eric seemed much more at ease as his face relaxed and he walked to the counter to grab a paper towel. He wiped off the blood on his face as best he could without a mirror and then headed towards the door.

Without a goodbye, he and Damiar left the house locking the door behind him. The house was really quiet and my heart was beating 1000 miles an hour. What if he was gone for good? He would get the police and then I would be set free! But what if he's caught?

What if they kill him? Questions kept filling my brain until I took a deep breath and decided I needed something to do. It took me about 10 minutes to clean and put away the few dishes that were in the sink and then I headed upstairs.

I wanted to peek back into Eric's room to try and find out how he escaped. You know, just in case. I opened the door and saw the room in total disarray. I stepped in quietly moving objects and clothes out of my way with my feet.

Crisp air hot my cheek and I looked up to see the window open. The short calm I had before quickly disappeared as I understood what was in front of me: freedom. Damiar's words played back into my head. He was too close for me to successfully escape for good.

I was furious. How could I be so close to escape but know that I can't do anything about it? That I can't go anywhere even with the god-damned window open as if asking me "why don't you just jump down? It'd be so easy?" As it laughs at my wholly excruciating predicament.

I picked up a glass from the dresser next to me and threw it at the wall as I yelled in frustration. The crashed and fell to the floor in tiny pieces.

My breathing was rough and hard; my throat was tight, letting me know that tears were close. I knew my situation: I couldn't leave. Not yet. It would be dumb and only a grave representation of my stupidly ignorant and immature perspective.