Chapter 3: Detention

Michael

"The first day back, and you're already getting in trouble."

I sat opposite my father in his office, my head down, as I played with my fingernails. I didn't need him to lecture me about how disappointed he was, and how much of a bad student I was.

Why? Because I already knew. It was always like this, always the same. there wasn't a day that went by when I didn't get in trouble.

"You know what dad, why don't we just forget all of this talking and you just send me to detention like you always do?"

My father shook his head, and brought his fingers together, he huffed loudly, then fixed his glasses-all of the mannerisms he would do to show he was mad at me. I knew what I did was bad, and I knew what I had to do to improve. But I didn't want to. And I didn't care.

"It's like you don't even try, Michael. we spoke about this, me and your mother we spoke to you about how you said you were going to change this year."

"I never said that. That was you guys."

I hated it when my dad talked down to me. It made me feel like utter shit.

"Michael."

"Hmm?", I didn't look at him. I didn't want to see his face.

"Help me. Help me, son. What can I do? Tell me. What is it I can do to make you do better in school?"

"Can I go now?"

He sighed again and picked up a file of papers he had to work on before speaking to me.

"You're in detention periods three and four. I'll see you at home."

"Okay."

I stood up and exited the office immediately.

---

I liked detention.

The teacher barely showed up, and I got to be in a class by myself. no one else had detention on the first day back at school, except me. I sat in the middle row of an empty math class, spinning a number two pencil on the table repeatedly. I was supposed to be writing lines, but God knows I won't be doing that.

After fifteen minutes, I began to get bored. I started to do ridiculous things, like count how many lines were on the wallpaper, or how many things in the room began with the letter b. After several boring minutes, I saw a figure at the door, and a few seconds later it opened to reveal someone. Well, not just someone. It was that tall blonde boy from this morning.

Luke.

His uniform was pristine, shirt tucked in, blazer buttons done, and tie crammed up to his neck. He was like the perfect picture of the perfect student.

So why the hell was he here?

He slowly walked in, and his eyes widened slightly as he saw me.

"Are you lost?", I asked.

"Is this detention?"

I raised an eyebrow in surprise. He was the last person I expected to show up here.

"Yes. you're in luck."

He sighed, closing the door.

"No, I'm not. My mom's gonna kill me."

"What did you do?", I smirked, watching as the slim boy walked towards me. His uniform was way too big for him.

"Nothing!" he threw his hands in the air. "I was listening to music through my earphones. it helps me work! I don't see the big deal", he huffed, sitting on a stool beside me.