Chapter 7: Chocolate fudge cake

Michael

Lunchtime was the best part of the day, but also the worst. It was good because at last, I could be away from teachers and not really have to socialize with anyone except a few yes or no's to the lunch ladies. But it sucked because the food wasn't always that good, and everyone in the cafeteria sat in cliques.

There was a table full of jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, pretty girls, pretty boys, and even teachers.

It was pathetic.

I didn't care about who to sit with at lunch. I just cared about eating.

I joined the long queue of hungry teenagers, looking at the school menu.

Pasta, again.

My green eyes scanned around the vibrant room, looking for the pretty blonde who I befriended a few days ago. It would be hard to notice him, as the room was full of kids running and pushing one another as they looked at what was on today's menu. But for me, he was all I was looking for. After seconds I caught him walking inside the cafeteria, his eyes wide and alert as kids shoved past him to rush into the queues.

Luke seemed unimpressed as he looked around, examining the lunch.

It was crazy. we were the exact same.

"Hey, Luke!", I called.

He didn't hear me. Fuck these school kids.

"Luke", I called again, waving my hands in the air.

This time his head finally moved in my direction. He seemed relieved as he saw me, and immediately came over.

"Hey", I greeted. "Looking for something to eat?"

"Dude, this is shit. There's nothing I like here."

"I know, swear this school lives on pasta and cold custard."

He scrunched his nose and crossed his arms.

"Gross."

I stared at the boy, noticing how slim he really was. His stomach was completely flat, and his legs were long and slim. It made me wonder if he was even hungry.

"What would you eat? If you could eat anything right now."

He hummed, biting his lip before answering.

"Chocolate fudge cake?"

I smirked, looking at the corner of the room before facing him.

"Cool. Follow me."

His eyes lit up as I spoke.

"You have chocolate fudge cake?"

"Ssh.", I warned, walking away from the queue.

"Okay!", he whispered, following quickly behind me.

I ushered him to the back secretly, making sure no teachers or students saw us.

"Dude, where are we going?"

I ignored him, and sneaked past the kitchen, into a storage room. The lights were off so I turned them on once we got inside. This was where the school kept all their food.

Luke gasped and looked around excitedly.

"Shit."

I turned to him and smirked.

"There's gotta be cake in here somewhere. Help me look, quick."

We both began to look around the room, in boxes, cupboards but couldn't find anything.