Chapter 20: Calum

Calum

It had only been two months, and I can already say junior year was probably my least favorite time at school. I don't even know what made it this way. It may have been the fact that all of my favorite teachers had been replaced with new ones, or maybe it was because the work was harder and I was finding it difficult to balance homework with my other curriculums. Nah, I knew what it was. This year me and Michael were no longer friends. And no matter how much I pretended it didn't bother me, it kind of sucked.

"Calum? Are you home?"

I had just come back from school, to the smell of my home. I could tell dinner was ready from the front door. I walked further, to see my parents sitting at the dinner table, they were waiting for me.

"Hey mom, hey, dad", I smiled.

"Hi, honey.", my mother spoke. "Go and change from your uniform, then we can have dinner."

My parents weren't the strictest, but they for sure had their rules with me. Home by 8 pm the latest, and no going out on school nights unless it was education-related. I made my way upstairs to my bedroom and changed into a white tee and trousers. After I got changed and was about to go downstairs I stopped as I noticed a photo of me and Michael on the pinboard on the wall. We were in 3rd grade, it was a polaroid of him holding me on his back, as we both smiled widely. I missed those days.

"Calum? Are you ready?"

"Coming, Mom!" 

I went back down and sat in my usual place in the middle of my parents.

"Okay, let's say grace."

Once we said grace we tucked into our food. 

"So how is school going, son?", my dad asked.

"It's going great, dad."I munched before speaking again, knowing he would want me to say more. "The work is harder but that's normal. I'm doing well in all subjects. My teacher says I'm predicted A's all year round."

"Oh, that's wonderful to hear! Isn't that wonderful, Joy?"

My mom nodded, a bright smile on her face. 

"You're doing so well. We're so proud of you, Calum."

"Yes, we are. To Calum", my father raised his glass of water.

"To Calum", my mom repeated, doing the same.

I blushed slightly, rubbing my arm with my palm.

"Thanks, guys. You don't have to do that."

"Of course we do. If you keep up those good grades, you can get a really good job, like a dentist, or a doctor, or a lawyer!", my dad exclaimed.

My mom chuckled.

"You can be whatever you want to be, Calum."

I wish I trusted those words that came out of my mother's mouth. But I felt like I did have to aim for the highest paid job in the book. Anything to please my parents. I never wanted to disappoint them.

I smiled, staying silent as we began to eat, however, my mind was full of noise. All I could think about was how important my future was. No matter the consequences,  I was going to make sure I would make my parents proud, whatever it takes. Even if it meant I had to lose friendships along the way.

---

a/n: who wants mikey and cal to be friends again ? :(