Chapter 36: Secret

Luke

The following day at school, I was making my way to gym class. I hadn't spoken or seen Michael since my talk with Calum yesterday. Honestly, I didn't sleep well last night, because I was up late thinking about our conversation. I tried to get it out of my mind, but it just wouldn't go away. Something in me just hoped Calum was wrong, but I knew that he wasn't. He was absolutely right. Michael wouldn't study if his life depended on it. I just wish I could talk to him and somehow change his mind, but I had no idea how.

As I approached the gym, I saw the rowdy group of boys from my class all huddled outside, talking to each other loudly. My eyes looked for Michael or Ashton, but none of them were here yet.

I stopped walking as I saw Aaron leaning against the wall, on his phone. The lanky boy seemed to be engrossed in his Twitter feed, unfazed by what was going on around him. It would be rude not to say hello, considering he was the only person I knew here, so I walked over.

"Hey, Aaron."

He looked up with a surprised expression on his face as he saw me. "Luke, hey", he smiled, putting his phone in his pocket.

That was weird. He didn't have to do that.

I smiled kindly.

"Is Coach Daniels absent today?"

"Oh, no. He's just running late according to the principal. But I won't complain if the class get's canceled."

I smirked. "That would be great. I didn't get the best sleep last night, so the less physical activity I do today, the better."

"What kept you up?"

Part of me wanted to tell him about it. About how deep inside I was really stressing about Michael and school. It was on my chest, and I desperately wanted someone else's point of view. 

But another part of me just wanted to keep it to myself.

"Oh, just Netflix", I lied.

He chuckled, nodding his head. "I hear that. I watched Rick and Morty for like five hours last week."

I gasped. "Oh my god, I love that."

"Yeah, it's pretty much my religion now."

I giggled, moving a strand of hair out of my face. "Not the best thing to watch when you have to be up at 7 am though, huh?"

"Oh, definitely not.", he moved his sleeves up his arms. "Unfortunately Netflix is more fun when you shouldn't be watching it."

I smiled. "That's so true."

"So what time did you eventually fall asleep?"

I hummed in thought, twisting my lips. "Probably around three."

"Oh, man. That's gonna be tough considering we have track and field today."

I gasped, placing my hands on my cheeks.

Aaron smirked at me, amused.

"I thought track and field was on Tuesdays!"

"Sorry to break it to you."

I groaned, leaning my head against the wall. "Well, that's just great. So I'm gonna be super sweaty, half asleep, and wear yellow on the same day? That's gonna be a terrible sight for sure."

He chuckled, and turned to me, leaning against the locker. I laughed too, putting my hands in my blazer pockets.

"That's impossible."