Chapter 43: Messages

Michael

It was 8 AM the next day, and I was still in bed. I didn't want to move, and I most definitely did not want to go to school today. I felt so worthless. The only reason I enjoyed going to school was to see Luke, but now that we were over, I had nothing to look forward to. There was literally no point in going, I wouldn't learn anything, and no one wanted me there, so I chose to stay in bed.

Suddenly, my Dad knocked on my door immediately walking in. I remained facing the wall, my back to him.

"Michael? Why aren't you ready for school?"

"I'm not going", I mumbled.

"What?"

I rolled my eyes, speaking louder.

"I said I'm not going."

"Why not? Are you feeling unwell?"

"Am I feeling unwe-What kind of a question is that?", I turned around in my bed to face him. "Look at me Dad."

I still had a black eye and bruises, and he had the urge to ask if I was feeling unwell?

"Okay", he adjusted his tie. "I will give you the day off today, but you have to attend school tomorrow."

"You don't get it, do you?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, crossing his arms.

"What don't I get, Michael?"

"I'm not just staying at home today. I'm not going back, ever."

"That is ridiculous, Michael. You know you have to attend school."

"Well, I don't want to!"

"This is just another one of your silly tantrums, I'm going to leave until you calm down-"

"It's not a tantrum! Can't you understand what I'm telling you?!"

My dad sighed, walking towards my bed.

"What on earth makes you believe that you can just drop out of school, Michael? Why are you deciding this now?"

"Because."

"Because what-"

I groaned, sitting up in my bed.

"Because of everything, okay? None of it matters!"

"None of it matters? What does that mean, Michael? What doesn't matt-"

"I don't", I interrupted.

My dad's eyes were wide as he looked at me, like he was scared. Like he couldn't believe the words I just said.

"What?"

"I don't matter", I said, lying back down in my bed. I just wanted him to leave. I pulled the covers over my body tightly, wanting to disappear.

"Michael..."

I sighed, putting my face in my hands as I felt tears in my eyes. 

"Of course you matter. Son, how can you say that?", I jumped as I felt my Dad put his arm on me.

"Stop it Dad", I pushed him away. "Just go away, just go to work."

"I'm not going, Michael. We need to talk.", he sat down on the bed.

"I don't wanna talk to you", I sighed as I began to cry.

My dad was staring at me sympathetically, and I hated it. I hated him seeing me like this.

"What's wrong, bud? Tell me."

I cried, covering my face with my hands. "All I do is disappoint you. I disappoint everyone."