Chapter 48: Brave

Michael

It was a Thursday, after school, and I was in my living room. Today was my first therapy session. The time was 3:37 PM, and my therapist would be here in a few minutes. I felt less nervous about being in my own house, but I was still a little scared. I really wanted to get better and do everything I had to, to do that.

Suddenly, my Dad came in with a glass of water.

"Here, Mike.", he placed it on the table.

I was sat on the couch, my legs crossed. "Thanks, Dad."

"You'll be fine okay, bud?", he messed up my hair.

I forced a smile. "Yeah."

A few moments later, the doorbell rang, and it felt like my heart had fell to the pit of my stomach.

I had to get through this, after all it was only the beginning.

"That must be the therapist. I'll get it", I watched as my Dad wandered out of the room. Moments later, he returned with a grey haired man by his side. He was dressed smartly, holding a white folder clutched to his blazer.

"Hello, you must be Michael", he greeted. "I'm Dr Williams.", he reached his hand out.

"Hi", I replied, quietly, shaking it.

"Michael, would you like your father to sit in on the session? Since it's your first one."

I nodded, glacing at my Dad. "Sure. Yes, please."

"No problem."

"Please, have a seat", my father pointed to the sofa, opposite the one I was on. My dad sat next to me.

I felt a little less nervous with my Dad beside me.

Dr Williams got comfortable on the sofa, before fixing his glasses. Then he opened his folder and got a pen out of his pocket.

"So, how are you feeling today Michael?"

"I'm fine."

"Did you have a good day at school?"

"Um, yes."

He gave me a kind smile. "Michael, I understand this process may be daunting to you at first, but I assure you, I want you to feel comfortable, during our sessions. So if anytime, you want a break, or even if you want me to leave, I will. I'm here to help you, and make you feel at ease."

I smiled. "Thank you, Dr Williams."

He grinned, looking down at this papers. "So, I was told by your father that you were diagnosed with ADHD last week. Now, our sessions will simply involve me talking to you about your progress at school, and your medication you're taking. You can let me know if you have any good days, bad days, or anything in between. How does that sound?"

I nodded in agreement. "That sounds fine."

"Are you familiar with your medication as of yet?", the older man looked at my Dad, implying the question was more for him than me.

"Yes, we were prescribed it yesterday. He has been ordered to take two tablets a day, afternoon, and morning."

"I see. And Michael, how are you finding the medication?"

"I've only taken one so far, but it's fine."

"Excellent. So, are you okay with beginning the session by talking about your daily behaviour, what you did at school, and any challenges you faced?"

I nodded quickly, suddenly thankful for the man I had only just met.

"I just wanna get better.", I smiled at the Dr, then looked at my Dad.